PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Downstairs bathrooms. Just why.
    I've lived in a house with a downstairs bathroom all my life and can't see the problem.

All 'dirty' areas are on one level and when I'm too old and decrepit to go up the stairs, I can just use the one level.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kylej64 wrote: »
    I guess I'm alone not liking conservatories. Though with what has been said I may rethink my stance on them (maybe my friends all got them on the cheep, lol).
    Many people expect a 24/7 x 365 building at half the price of a real extension, which isn't realistic. They then expect people to do a first class job without any building inspector overseeing their work. Again, given human nature, often unrealistic.

There's the potential for lots to go wrong and for corners to be cut, especially in areas that add to the cost but can't be seen.

Also, these things need to be designed, not just to keep heat in, but to get rid of it too, when necessary. Sales persons are not interested or usually qualified in design or practicality; all they want is your name on the contract!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Downstairs bathrooms. Just why.
    Many houses were built at a time when they weren't bog-standard, ;) hence they were add-ons.
  • jungle_jane
    jungle_jane Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    • I don't like reverse houses - where the living is upstairs and the bedrooms downstairs.
    • I also wish i didn't live in house that has lousy refuse collection (we have to use 4 different bags - I long for the days of wheelie bins)
    • I don't like houses where the road layout means you have to walk the long way around just to get to a shop - we are lucky with the amount of footpaths we have in Cornwall
    • i don't like houses where your driveway is obscured so entering/leaving is tricky - for example on a bend
    • I don't like houses where neighbours can influence my enjoyment - eg a tree obscuring my sunlight or "their" fence being insufficient
    • I don't like houses with no doorbell (although that is easily fixed)

Our major concern when looking for a house is whether it is cat friendly - that means decent garden with fences, no busy road, place you can put catflaps and lots of soil for them to do their business
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Many houses were built at a time when they weren't bog-standard, ;) hence they were add-ons.
    yeah, my bathroom was a walk in pantry and outside toilet.:D
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    we're just bought our first home and the things i didnt want were:
    houses with less than three bedrooms (as we're hoping we could have two children someday)
    no garden
    no space for outside storage
    terraced
    and we had a specific search area but otherwise that was it.
    So our house is a 3 bed 80's semi with garden, garage and greenhouse where the only thing indoors that we aren't changing over time is the fire place and where the majority of the doors are.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't like front doors opening straight into the living room. I am not even really keen on just a porch. I like a proper hallway.

Having lived in a house for 12 years with the stairs in the living room, I would never ever choose another house with the same layout. The living room was always cold in winter even with the heating on full blast. The landing though was like a sauna!

Also it means sound travels too much. I go to bed earlier most nights than my husband and I could always hear the tv even when he had the sound quite low.

Rooms that are too dark as they make me feel depressed.

Also my last house was between 2 schools - never again. The lazy selfish parents awful parking (even on yellow lines) drove me mad plus I could never walk my dog when they were all going to or from school as they just refused to allow room on the pavement. I ended up walking in the road
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catkins wrote: »

Also my last house was between 2 schools - never again. The lazy selfish parents awful parking (even on yellow lines) drove me mad plus I could never walk my dog when they were all going to or from school as they just refused to allow room on the pavement. I ended up walking in the road

Yes that's another thing as well reading about the bad parking has put me off from buying too close to a school.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just caught up reading all the responses, it's been a great read :)
    Stuff I never even thought of is now on my 'important things' list.

It's also made me realise that the things I think would put buyers off about our house are barely going to register (if we get the right viewers/buyers). E.g. I'm not ripping out the kitchen or bathroom, even though they're about as old as I am, but are clean and functional.

No-one's mentioned cellars though... Even if they are properly done and damp proofed etc, aren't they still just a bit creepy...? *shudder
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Having lived in the US for many years, where single-storey houses are not only common but the norm, I was surprised at the amount of distaste a lot of people show in the UK to bungalows. I've seen almost a sneering snobbery towards them at times.

I owned two "brick ranches" (essentially bungalows) in NC and TN and loved both of them. They just had a great flow when moving around inside, and when moving from inside to the garden.

They seem to be associated with being old here, I suppose because of the single-level design. I have noticed when searching for houses that they often also have less floor space and a smaller garden than many two-storey houses, which for me is more of an issue than being single-storey per se.

The reason I dislike bungalows is because they never have any character.
    The only bungalow I ever recall as having had any charm, was an unmodernised 1920s one - straight out of Metroland - with steps leading up to it from a beautfully-planted and large rockery garden.
    It was subsequently sold to someone who immediately ripped out the lovely old front garden and replaced it with crazy paving, replaced the original leaded light windows with upvc, and slapped beige pebbledash all over the black & white mock Tudor front.
    It then looked like every other bungalow you've ever seen. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport