IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Civil enforcement ltd - county court

Options
Hello...I have been to the Newbies section to find help but there is soo much information im getting all confused. Please help if you can or signpost me to the relevant link if possible..Anyway here goes.
Back in June 2016 my sister and I together with our 3 children went to KFC Deptford for lunch, we noticed the new parking signs that had just been put up. We obtained verbal consent from their staff to park for longer as the kids took too long to finish lunch. About a month later we both received parking tickets from Civil Enforcement LTD. I felt that the tickets were both unfair as we had been given consent by their staff and we were paying customers. KFC responded saying that we needed to contact the franchisee who was of very little help. So I ignored the tickets. I have now received a Claim Form from COUNTY COURT BUSINESS CENTRE (Northampton). I am now scared of ruining my credit rating or worse a CCJ.. The claim is now for £326.41. There were no pictures and 'Im assuming they got my details from DVLA. I have no proof that their staff member gave us permission to park.I have to respond by the 20th April. Because of the Easter holiday the letter is dated 07/04 but only got to me on the 15th! PLEASE HELP ME

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    acknowledge the claim ASAP by reading and following the advice in post #2 of that NEWBIES sticky thread

then start reading recent threads on similar court claims and do the same as they have done , and draft your own defence by reading and plagiarising the defences in those other threads

dont read anything more than 12 months old

if you do the work people will help you, but you wont get a free lunch from volunteers doing it for free
  • miss_angie
    miss_angie Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Redx..Let me get started.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    £326 seems wildly optimistic, have they given a breakdown?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    £326 seems wildly optimistic, have they given a breakdown?
    I suspect this is a result of the usual merry-go-round CEL use. They issue an LBA some way back in the process (for a smaller amount). Then, instead of making a claim, they send it on another round of debt collectors, thus artificially inflating the claim (especially as they never pay the debt collectors if they are unsuccessful). Once the claim is suitably inflated, they issue another LBA for a much higher amount, which this time goes on to become a real claim.

Such "inflation" must be challenged. This thread shows what CEL tend to do. Has the same sequence happened here? Maybe the OP could give a full breakdown of what was received when.
  • yotmon
    yotmon Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I totally agree that the figure has been artificially inflated, especially as it is only 10 months old.
    Perhaps they are hoping that you do not defend and it goes through as a default.
  • miss_angie
    miss_angie Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    The breakdown on the claim form
    Amount Claimed - 251.41
    Court Fee - 25.00
    Legal Rep costs - 50.00
    Total - 326.41
    I have acknowledged the claim and am now in the process of writing the Part 18 letter.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    For the record, if they were to take you to court and won a contested claim, the most they would be likely to receive is c@ £200. They cannot claim legal fees, court fees unless they have actually paid them, or DBA costs.

If there is a solicitor involved you should complain to the SRA.

You should
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure