Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • batesy2000
    • By batesy2000 17th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Part payment query
    • #1
    • 17th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    Part payment query 17th Jul 17 at 2:33 PM
    OK here goes.
    Due to financial difficulties I ran up CSA arrears.
    The child no longer qualifies so the case is closed but I have arrears to pay which I have been doing.
    Was advised to go for a part-payment settlement. The CSA were happy with the amount I offered but here's the problem.

    They have tried calling and sending letters to the mother about this agreement but she isnt responding at all so without her approval I'm currently in limbo.

    I've not been I contact with her for over 19 years so I have no idea where she is. It appears the CSA have no idea either.

    Any idea where I stand or what can I do?

    Will I have to now pay the full arrears even though it appears the mother doesn't care enough to respond? Would the CSA agree on her behalf or even write off the whole debt? I was hoping to get this sorted ASAP but this is an obstacle I had not forseen.
Page 1
    • By WYSPECIAL 18th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • #2
    • 18th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    Who is the money owed to? If your ex was on certain benefits then the money may be owed to the Secretary of State in which case they would have the authority to write it off.

    Their saying they are contacting your ex though suggests that the money is owed to her in which case they won't be able to agree on her behalf. There must be some idea where she is as they must be passing on the money you pay by some means.

    If the money is owed to her and she won't agree to a lower amount, or chooses not to respond to requests, then there is nothing you can do other than pay off the full amount.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 18th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • #3
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    I find it very hard to believe they canít find her. If they can access your tax records from HMRC surely they can access hers. Tax records, DVLA and other government agencies at whow they trace non resident parents.

    CMS and HMRC have a working relationship.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,772Posts Today

7,797Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with?

  • So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA?

  • Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".?

  • Follow Martin