Credit card compensation

Options
Could I claim my money back due to paying by credit card in this scenario.

I recently used the Meet and Greet car parking service at Manchester Airport where they take your car, park it in a secure location and have it ready for you at the terminal when you return. This cost me £120 for 2 weeks.

On collecting the car a Nalgene water bottle (£8) had been taken off my front passenger seat which I had left there so I would have a bottle of water for when I got back and as it wasn't especially valuable I didn't see it as 'breakinable'. There was no sign of break in to the car when I collected it. I complained and they said there staff were trustworthy and I shouldn't have left valuables in it.

The police said someone could have used an electronic device to get in the car but if that was the case I think they would have checked the glove compartment as well. In there was a utility knife and a headtorch for emergencies woth about £80 for emergencies which hadn't gone missing.

As this service was advertised as secure could I get a refund?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very unlikely.
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    Definite no im afraid

I've known claims similar to this where the car was used by "the merchant" instead of parked so the petrol was used and the miles up.

That and the car being damaged or parked in a field somewhere so its filthy. Quite common, sadly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No lol
    Not over a plastic water bottle
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If someone has removed something from your vehicle, that is not good. However, what exactly would you be able to produce as evidence that this had actually happened? Are you completely sure it is not just under the seat, having rolled off when it was being driven/parked?

There would have been no sign of break in when you collected the vehicle because you didn't collect it - they had it ready for you at the terminal. If you did have to collect it (when they were contracted to deliver it) then you might have a case for a refund.

On a slight tangent, I think medical professionals might advise you not to keep the same water in a bottle in your car for a prolonged period and then drink it. If it's tap water, the risk is probably not so high; if it's bottled/mineral/spring water, the risk is greater. Don't ask me how I know this.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2019 at 5:24PM
    Options
    andyproc wrote: »
    On collecting the car a Nalgene water bottle (£8) had been taken off my front passenger seat which I had left there so I would have a bottle of water for when I got back
    The thief may have felt he/she was doing you a favour:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene (see BPA concerns).
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Am I understanding this correctly.

You want a refund of £120 because an £8 water bottle is missing?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Am I understanding this correctly.

You want a refund of £120 because an £8 water bottle is missing?

Shame on you for appearing incredulous.
    I recommend the OP post the issue here in order to reach a more sympathetic audience.
  • m-holland
    m-holland Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    andyproc wrote: »
    The police said someone could have used an electronic device to get in the car but if that was the case I think they would have checked the glove compartment as well. In there was a utility knife and a headtorch for emergencies woth about £80 for emergencies which hadn't gone missing.

You actually went to the police with this nonsense?
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    OP getting a bashing but a fair percentage of customers enquiring about a chargeback/s75 have queries that are as equally as likely to be upheld.
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    I've no idea about the claim, but if you're rich/stupid enough to pay £8 for a bottle of water then you deserve what you get...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure