what circumstances can you get high rate PIP mobility

Options
nicetomeetyou
nicetomeetyou Posts: 310 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 17 June 2019 at 6:55PM in Benefits & tax credits
if you have mental health issues? If a person becomes aggressive in public because of overwhelming fear/threat when psychotic and must be accompanied by trained care staff (becomes unwell 2/3 times a year) but when well doesn't need much support to access the community does that still entitle a award for high rate PIP? It is noted that the person has severe social anxiety especially around groups of teenagers and has been know to get off bus at earlier stops to avoid groups getting lost, this is well documented in care plans.. Does that warrant high rate mobility?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to score at least 12 points from these descriptors:

1. Planning and following journeys
    a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points
    c. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points
    d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points
    f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points

2. Moving around
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, – (i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

In each of the two categories above the descriptor that applies gives the number of points for that category. Add the two numbers together, if more than 12 high rate mobility applies.

The assessment is based on what applies for more than half the time so someone who is well most of the time will not score any points.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    Options
    if you have mental health issues? If a person becomes aggressive in public because of overwhelming fear/threat when psychotic and must be accompanied by trained care staff (becomes unwell 2/3 times a year) but when well doesn't need much support to access the community does that still entitle a award for high rate PIP? It is noted that the person has severe social anxiety especially around groups of teenagers and has been know to get off bus at earlier stops to avoid groups getting lost, this is well documented in care plans.. Does that warrant high rate mobility?
    Based on that then most likely not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If it only happens 2/3 times a year then I'm afraid that isn't 50% of the time.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    Only happens 2/3 times a year has have extensive input from community nursing and paid support workers to remain in the community. Was told don't need to attend face-to-face assessment but they wanted to know about aggressiveness in the community and what do staff do to safeguard public and person, was told when delusional is never unsupported in the community.
  • nicetomeetyou
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »

Thank you Poppy, that site is very useful.

I was a talking about me when I made these posts.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Once the report is returned to DWP you can ring to request a copy, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

You'll still have to wait for a decision but once it's made if you're not happy then you have 1 month from that date to request the MR.
  • nicetomeetyou
    nicetomeetyou Posts: 310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2019 at 11:32PM
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Once the report is returned to DWP you can ring to request a copy, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

I won't be able to get the report as I have a county council appointee and he won't let me have it sent to me anyway.

Can I ask, if they've made a face-to-face decision do they normally award standard rate care PIP or have they come to a decision to award a highe awardr as they have enough evidence for a higher awarder so they don't need an assessment?
  • poppy12345
    Options

Can I ask, if they've made a face-to-face decision do they normally award standard rate care PIP or have they come to a decision to award a highe awardr as they have enough evidence for a higher awarder so they don't need an assessment?
    That's impossible to answer that question. No one could possible guess what the decision is likely to be. I'm afraid you'll need to wait for the decision letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure