teachers pension iam retiring soon

Options
hi

iam retiring soon from my main teaching job where i work full time.

i also have a small income from teaching in another university which is not pensionable.... do i have to stop this other role to get my pension.... thanks clifford

Comments

• ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing stopping you from carrying on working after retirement!
    I retired AT 65 but am now working as an invigilator at a school part time with my private, company & personal pension being paid in full (less tax of course)
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope you were not teaching English.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    Options
    I am retiring soon from my main teaching job where i work full time.

I also have a small income from teaching in another university which is not pensionable

Why is it not pensionable - e.g., have you opted out, or some other reason...?
    do i have to stop this other role to get my pension

'If you’re receiving Age final salary benefits and you remain in pensionable employment, or you're receiving Age or Premature final salary benefits after leaving pensionable employment and then return to work, your pension may be suspended. This is dependent upon your earnings but only where the employment is pensionable in the Teachers’ Pension Scheme. If the employment is eligible to be pensionable the earnings will be included in the assessment, irrespective of whether you have opted-out or remain in the Scheme for that employment.'

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/faqs/re-employment/returning-to-work.aspx

So, knowing why exactly this other role is 'not pensionable' is all important.
  • hyubh
    Options
    ossie wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you from carrying on working after retirement!
    I retired AT 65 but am now working as an invigilator at a school part time

I would imagine a role specifically of 'invigilator' only wouldn't be eligible for TPS membership. However, I hope you haven't used as evidence a lack of action on the scheme administrator's part - Capita have down to a fine art doing the minimum possible up front and being completely unembarrassed about catching up with negligent pensioners retrospectively many years down the line.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 May 2018 at 10:17PM
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    I would imagine a role specifically of 'invigilator' only wouldn't be eligible for TPS membership. However, I hope you haven't used as evidence a lack of action on the scheme administrator's part - Capita have down to a fine art doing the minimum possible up front and being completely unembarrassed about catching up with negligent pensioners retrospectively many years down the line.

School invigilator posts are LGPS.
  • hyubh
    Options
    iam retiring soon from my main teaching job where i work full time.

Hang on, what's with the duplicate thread?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5845674
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    Hang on, what's with the duplicate thread?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5845674

Probably didn't like the answers - or my suggestion they check direct with TPS. Why do people think asking on a general forum, when they have only given limited information, will somehow get them a definitive answer?
  • clifford149
    clifford149 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

thankyou for your replies...

my full time post is with a tps university

my pt post is with a USS university i have opted out because iam maxed out pension wise with tps

so when i apply to tps to retire will they oblige me to retire from the uss university?....which means i have to get paperwork to prove i have retired eg red tape etc

regards....yes i will ring tps but my experience with them is they never answer the phone

regards
  • hyubh
    Options
    my pt post is with a USS university i have opted out because iam maxed out pension wise with tps

In what what way are you 'maxed out pension-wise with TPS'...? Not taking USS membership where eligible is effectively taking a big pay cut (neither the USS nor TPS are cheap to provide).
    so when i apply to tps to retire will they oblige me to retire from the uss university?

No, so long as TPS membership is 100% not possible for you at the other university.
  • relishy57
    relishy57 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can go on the members part of TPS and ask a question via email/ message. They do respond securely. This part of the TPS site has lots of FAQs too and possible scenarios/ modellers for information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure