PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Grade II listed advice

Options
Hello,

We're in the process of purchasing a grade II listed property and would appreciate some advice.

We have concerns that unauthorised alterations may have been carried out but it's not entirely straight forward...

The building was first listed in the 60's and significant alterations were carried out in the 80's. I can't see any record of these alterations on the council planning website but a conservation officer visited the property in the mid 80's and updated the listing entry to include the new external features and did not enforce any changes.

A couple of questions:

1) If unauthorised alterations were made in the 80s, does the CO visit and revised listing effectively create a clean slate?

2) do the council planning websites usually contain absolutely everything that has been submitted? I might be worrying about nothing if the various consents were granted but not uploaded (long shot, I know)

Thanks as always!

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Contact the conservation officer and ask him. They are normally pretty helpful. Would think it highly unlikely that they would enforce something done 30 years ago.what are the actual alterations?

Also I would think that the online application search might only go back to the 90s unless they have gone through and scanned all historic applications?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2017 at 8:34PM
    Options
    They're not going to enforce anything 30+ years after alterations have taken place (especially if they spotted them at the time).

If the current configuration matches the current listing, I'm not even sure there's anything for them to enforce.

Different councils vary in how far back online searches go, you should be able to figure it out from other properties.
  • GregTurner
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.

We're asking our solicitor if the sellers would agree to a visit from the CO. They seemed OK about the idea when we asked them in person during a viewing so fingers crossed.

The alterations are knocking through to another building to create a single dwelling (this is referenced in the revised listing as 'links to' and the other building said to be of no interest on the listing), a few double glazed windows, a front porch (again referenced in the revised listing) and an extension which is about 50 years old and indistinguishable from the main property but not explicitly referenced in the revised listing. Bit of a minefield!

So although the two main alterations are referenced in the revised listing entry I can't find any corresponding approvals for LBC on the councils planning website. The double glazing might be an issue although it is very subtle but in any case I'd rather we were 100% above board.
  • GregTurner
    Options
    I should add that the extension would have been in situ before the original listing so I guess there's nothing to worry about with this one at least.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds fine to me. I wouldnt be too concerned personally. Just contact the CO for piece of mind.
  • Cutesyusername
    Options
    We live in a Grade II in a conservation area which is in turn in a World Heritage Site (so triple whammy :)) When we purchased, I was concerned about a dormer window which had been installed since the building was listed. Our solicitor advised we took out an indemnity insurance (small charge) against the possibility of any future comeback. Might be worth finding out more through your solicitor?
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    How does an indemnity policy work on a listed building? Unauthorised alterations are a criminal offence, does the policy include a "get out of jail free card"?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    How does an indemnity policy work on a listed building? Unauthorised alterations are a criminal offence, does the policy include a "get out of jail free card"?

Don't think it's an offence merely to be the owner of a building with previous unauthorised alterations? In any event more likely to be an enforcement notice first - so insurance would cover cost of complying (or challenging) it.

PS the query is over a year old, not sure why the previous poster resurrected it.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Don't think it's an offence merely to be the owner of a building with previous unauthorised alterations? In any event more likely to be an enforcement notice first - so insurance would cover cost of complying (or challenging) it.

PS the query is over a year old, not sure why the previous poster resurrected it.

Good point. It just made me chuckle that you could potentially buy a criminal indemnity policy. I quite fancied a bit of armed robbery to supplement my income.
  • GW844
    GW844 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    There is also a downside to Indemnity policies. They usually have a clause which means it will not pay out if you in anyway alert the listed building/conservation dept to changes. Some companies view asking the planners to visit to discuss works that you undertake as 'alerting' them to any previous changes that they may note during their visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure