Dormant bank account

Options
I have just received a letter stating my deceased wife has a dormant account that I didn't realise existed. As the value is under £4000 will there be any problems having this money transferred to my account (different bank). Will it involve solicitors and their fees?

Thank you

Comments

• Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    For that amount it shouldn't involve solicitors, refer to your bank's procedure though.
    : )
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    poirot wrote: »
    I have just received a letter stating my deceased wife has a dormant account that I didn't realise existed. As the value is under £4000 will there be any problems having this money transferred to my account (different bank). Will it involve solicitors and their fees?

Thank you

The bank may ask for sight of the will and/or probate - check with them what they need. Unlikely to be an issue.
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fwiw... Barclays were happy to do somewhere around 6k with just a death certificate and sufficient ID to prove who I was. 20 minute meeting in branch, pretty easy.
  • poirot
    poirot Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your help. I am going to get in touch with the bank and hopefully all will be straightforward. Many thanks to all.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Be really useful if you'd be kind enough to update the thread with the outcome, including the bank(s) concerned. 'Real life' experiences count for far more than theory.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure