Legit insulation quote?

Options
Hi all,

I've just had a cavity wall insulation quote for my, 2 bed end terrace house (40sqm excluding galley kitchen; 45sqm including) and as I am not receiving benefits I have to make a contribution - so far, so good.

However, the quote was £265 for wool insulation and £385 for bead. When I said that seems high because it should cost >£500 to insulate an end terrace, I was told it's more like £1200-1400. I mentioned the last quote I had (a few years ago I admit) included a government subsidy of around 70% and the guy said the rules have changed since April and that level of subsidy isn't on offer any more.

The insulator is A&M Energy Solutions - I am unable to post their website as I am new - have been going for 40 years and are CIGA and BBA registered so all seems above board, it's just that I can't find any evidence online of cavity wall insulation costing over a grand for an end-terrace.

Thoughts?

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    markvin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just had a cavity wall insulation quote for my, 2 bed end terrace house (40sqm excluding galley kitchen; 45sqm including) and as I am not receiving benefits I have to make a contribution - so far, so good.

However, the quote was £265 for wool insulation and £385 for bead. When I said that seems high because it should cost >£500 to insulate an end terrace, I was told it's more like £1200-1400. I mentioned the last quote I had (a few years ago I admit) included a government subsidy of around 70% and the guy said the rules have changed since April and that level of subsidy isn't on offer any more.

The insulator is A&M Energy Solutions - I am unable to post their website as I am new - have been going for 40 years and are CIGA and BBA registered so all seems above board, it's just that I can't find any evidence online of cavity wall insulation costing over a grand for an end-terrace.

Thoughts?

did you mean < (less than)
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    However, the quote was £265 for wool insulation and £385 for bead.

I can't find any evidence online of cavity wall insulation costing over a grand for an end-terrace.
    Neither £265 nor £385 is over a grand. What are the actual figures in the quote. Did you request a quote or did they just pop round on spec?
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Chances are your cavity walls will not really be suitable for CWI (dirty wall ties for example) and the installation will not be done properly (the BBA will not be followed), Add to this the survey will also not be done properly (sufficient boroscope searches will not be made)

Nobody on the forum can comment on your altitude, exposure, pointing type, render condition, brickwork maintenance standard - to name some that come to mind. All this has to be considered before going ahead with CWI.

CWI comes with risks, but countless consumers are not concerned by this. I guess the mindset is ignorance is bliss here. That said the Daily Telegraph has run regular articles on the pitfalls.

If you go ahead I suggest you avoid any wool and opt for the bead. Thermobead exists, and I deem it a reasonable product - I had it pumped into my walls.

As for price, there is no reason you do not shop around.
  • markvin
    markvin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    did you mean < (less than)
    Yes, thanks for spotting this!

Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Neither £265 nor £385 is over a grand. What are the actual figures in the quote. Did you request a quote or did they just pop round on spec?
    What I meant was he said the full cost of CWI is £1200-£1400 for an end-terrace the size of mine but info on the net says it should be under £500. He said my contribution will be either £265 - £385 towards the full cost of CWI which would be in excess of a grand and I am dubious based on the figures I've seen on the net.

I asked the to come and quote me as I recently found out to my surprise that I actually have cavity walls.

Furts wrote: »
    Chances are your cavity walls will not really be suitable for CWI (dirty wall ties for example) and the installation will not be done properly (the BBA will not be followed), Add to this the survey will also not be done properly (sufficient boroscope searches will not be made)
    What makes you think neither the survey nor the installation will be carried out properly? Can you explain why dirty cavity wall ties would make a wall unsuitable for CWI?
  • Furts
    Options

What makes you think neither the survey nor the installation will be carried out properly? Can you explain why dirty cavity wall ties would make a wall unsuitable for CWI?

I am experienced in building and have dealt with issues resulting from CWI. Basically, I know how the industry works.

Your comment about CIGA and BBA in #1 is concerning. The way it is written suggests you have poor understanding of this. CIGA, hopefully, will guarantee the work. They do not inspect, they do not check, (other than occasional spot checks on a squitty number of installations). That is your role. Likewise BBA means nothing to the consumer. This is a trade accreditation, with no quality control, no checks, and no inspection. Again this is your role. I suggest you have not looked into any of this. Had you done so you would understand my comments on dirty wall ties.

Ultimately perhaps 99% of consumers could not care less on any of this. Which is similar to another thread running at present. However these same non caring consumers get unhappy when things go wrong.

CWI is not a golden bullet - you have to decide what your role will be and what your attitude is to risk. By all means go ahead, but you should first clue yourself up on what you are getting into, or seek professional guidance if you are outside your comfort zone.
  • markvin
    markvin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Your comment about CIGA and BBA in #1 is concerning. The way it is written suggests you have poor understanding of this. CIGA, hopefully, will guarantee the work. They do not inspect, they do not check, (other than occasional spot checks on a squitty number of installations). That is your role. Likewise BBA means nothing to the consumer. This is a trade accreditation, with no quality control, no checks, and no inspection. Again this is your role. I suggest you have not looked into any of this. Had you done so you would understand my comments on dirty wall ties.
    You're right, I have poor understanding and in mentioning CIGA and BBA I am merely repeating what the CWI guy said to me to reassure me he doesn't work for a cowboy firm who will do a substandard job. However, I'm still not clear why you think the company will not perform the survey or installation correctly - can you clarify?
  • Furts
    Options
    You're right, I have poor understanding and in mentioning CIGA and BBA I am merely repeating what the CWI guy said to me to reassure me he doesn't work for a cowboy firm who will do a substandard job. However, I'm still not clear why you think the company will not perform the survey or installation correctly - can you clarify?

The industry is riddled with cowboys which is why you have to be savvy. I have given enough issues for you to be aware of.

You have been given a quote. Like all CWI cases this will be subject to survey. It sounds like your survey has not been done. Unless you are savvy the survey will be bodged. The reason is simple. A failed survey means no commission for the sales person. Hence expect a 99% chance of passing the survey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure