Taking the DWP to a small claims court

Options
I won my PIP appeal on the 14th of October, however they have still not started payments. I rang them yesterday and they confirmed that they were not appealing nor have they asked for a SOR but couldn't tell me when I'm going to get my money. Do you think issuing a letter before action might prompt them to make payment?

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sammysan wrote: »
    I won my PIP appeal on the 14th of October, however they have still not started payments. I rang them yesterday and they confirmed that they were not appealing nor have they asked for a SOR but couldn't tell me when I'm going to get my money. Do you think issuing a letter before action might prompt them to make payment?

No.

But well done on winning your appeal.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    As Alice states, it will be No.

If you want to take legal action against anyone, you have to consider what steps are in between raising the issue and going to court. There are usually 3 steps- Internal complaint, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and then court. Courts dislike people rushing there without allowing the other party to be given the chance to sort it.

The process for the DWP are set out here

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure

The ADR is either an Independent Case Examiner or the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. Try the complaints procedure first and then escalate if you don't get any sense out of them.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is not uncommon for it to take 6 weeks or so for the DWP to reinstate benefits following an appeal decision. Give it a few more days and ring them again.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure