cabot and global . please help

Options
Hello
This my first time posting. I desperately need help.

Around 12 years ago my life feel apart.

I had many debts that I was able to negotiate payment plans. Except to black horse loans. Who were unwilling to try to help?

They persisted in their pursuit of a ccj for nearly £9000.

Although I contested the amount, they demanded due to unfair charges and interest. I also informed via the claim pack them I wished to defend my case

Black horse applied for the order to the court during the period I was gathering my defence. My SAR request arrived weeks after the judgement.

Shortly after this I moved home due to domestic violence. I resettled and have been traceable for many years. I now have an excellent credit rating and never got into any money trouble since.

I never heard from black horse again.

I have now received letters after 11 or so years from Cabot and now global chasing this debt. Although they haven’t said there is a ccj on this account.

The lasts letter says this is now being escalated to the collections department.

I no long have any paperwork or even the account number for this debt.

Should I send a SAR to black horse or a prove it letter to global? Maybe find what information they hold on me.

Should I try to get the judgement set aside?

I really don’t know what to do for the best as I am now disabled and unable to work. The worry of this is making me so ill.

Please help .

thank you for your time.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Both Cabot and Arrow Global (is that who is writing now?) are debt buyers. It may well be that they have bought your account without a full history.

Whoever owns it now, my advice would be the same - send a prove-it to whoever wrote the latest letter and see what comes back.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
  • jane1970
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will send the letter. So kind of you to reply.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also, any judgement over 6 years old would require the creditor to go back to court and seek its permision to enforce the debt, as 6 years is deemed sufficiant time in law to do so.

The fact the debt has been sold on introduces a new twist to the argument which may make things, lets say, interesting from a legal point of view.

They may not even be aware of the judgement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jane1970
    jane1970 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both. I have been trawling the threads for advice. I couldn't find a case such as this.

The letters are confusing.

The first letter from cabot says they are acting on behalf of Black horse. The other two letters are from global debt recovery acting on behalf of cabot.

I have completed the "prove it letter" do I send £1.00 payment for this?

thank you once again.
  • sourcrates
    edited 19 April 2019 at 1:47PM
    Options
    jane1970 wrote: »
    Thank you both. I have been trawling the threads for advice. I couldn't find a case such as this.

The first letter from cabot says they are acting on behalf of Black horse. The other two letters are from global debt recovery acting on behalf of cabot.

thank you once again.

Its irrelivant who owns what to be honest, just send the letter to whoever is writing to you.

Cabot will have farmed the debt out to GDR to manage, think car keys at a swingers party, they love to share things around.

No, you do not need to pay anything with a provit letter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jane1970
    Options
    Thank you again for the advice . I will update with their response in due course.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Try not to worry about Cabot, they are basically incompetant, and prove it on a daily basis, there is always a way to deal with such companies, just sending a provit letter will most likley, put an end to collection activity for anywere up to a year, its easy to desuade debt collectors, they really are not worth worrying over.
  • jane1970
    Options
    P.s how dare they share me around !
    That raised a smile .
    with my luck id put my keys in the bowl and pull out my own !!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    jane1970 wrote: »

thank you once again.
    As sourcrates says it doesn't really matter who owns what at the moment but it sounds like Cabot owns it and have appointed GDR as collectors.

And definitely don't send them any money!
  • jane1970
    Options
    very confusing. I actually thought they maybe the same company but different department. I feel so much better after all input. I will send the letter and update you . I can not thank you both enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback