Travel Insurance - Unable to complete trip cost

Hi

We have planned and are paying for a holiday with a group of friends (to the US next June 2020). Holiday insurance has been taken out for the trip as it is relatively expensive (£3k per person).

One of the other couples has a situation where they may not be able to afford to continue paying for the trip (redundancy).

This may seem obvious but, if they are unable to continue paying and need to notify the holiday company to 'cancel' their holiday (due to redundancy) would they simply claim off their insurance based on 'cancellation' or another clause?

Note: redundancy was not known about when the trip was booked / insurance taken out.
Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've just spotted someone else has posted a 'cancellation' query, with a respondent highlighting the T&Cs section so I'll have a read through of ours.

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It would come under cancellation, but they need to check their specific policy to see if redundancy is covered.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    I've just spotted someone else has posted a 'cancellation' query, with a respondent highlighting the T&Cs section so I'll have a read through of ours.

Holiday insurance has been taken out for the trip as it is relatively expensive (£3k per person).

I would hope for that price redundancy is covered.:eek:

Why so expensive?
  • blindman wrote: »
    I would hope for that price redundancy is covered.:eek:

Why so expensive?
    I thought the same when I read it, but I think it's the cost of the trip that's 3K per person, not the cost of the insurance:rotfl:.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I thought the same when I read it, but I think it's the cost of the trip that's 3K per person, not the cost of the insurance:rotfl:.

Yes , just re-read it!

DOH!!
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    :D

some more text

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The sometimes maligned Nationwide bank account linked travel insurance policy definitely covers redundancy.

cloud_dog

As the trip is not until next June, is there a good chance that the friend will find another job soon? Not offering advice, but depending on payment schedule, they might not have to cancel immediately? Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure