Strongest glue for plastic?

Options
I accidentally broke into two pieces a plastic holder/hinge that supports my bathroom cupboard mirror door (about 80cmx50cm) from bottom. Does anyone know if there is a strong glue that I could use to stick them together and has strength to support the mirror door? Thanks.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try Gorilla glue but check out what sort of plastics it sticks. I have used it on some plastics around the house and for some outdoor stuff. It is very volatile and you need to use the supplied gloves to use it. Not sure I would risk it with supporting a mirror that size. Could you swap the top support for the bottom support or are they different sizes/shapes.
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I glued some plastic spikes to my fence last year with Gorilla Glue and they are still there!
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    You could try Gorilla glue but check out what sort of plastics it sticks. I have used it on some plastics around the house and for some outdoor stuff. It is very volatile and you need to use the supplied gloves to use it. Not sure I would risk it with supporting a mirror that size. Could you swap the top support for the bottom support or are they different sizes/shapes.

The problem I've nearly always had is telling exactly what type of plastic it is. It's usually a case of seeing whether it sticks or not, which isn't ideal.
    In any case when attempting to repair plastic, I try to put some metal pins in there to strengthen things.
    Brass panel pins are good for that with the head and point nipped off.
    Big mirror like that though ,and as you say, I wouldn't be all that happy with a repair.
    Glue is nearly always a weak point,
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. The top hinge is different from bottom unfortunately. It sounds like Gorilla is the best bet but might still not be strong enough to support the mirror:-(
  • troffasky
    Options
    If you're lucky, the plastic parts might be stamped with some lettering that identifies what it is, eg "PS" would be polystyrene. Various bits of my fridge have these stamped on.
  • John.Wright
    Options
    If it's anything plastic on plastic then I use this stuff every time. You mix the two tubes together although don't over do it, then let it set for a while with decent support holding it in place. This works for me every time and is my go to stuff. https://diy.evo-stik.co.uk/product/epoxy-rapid-tubes

Hope this helps
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Uhu works well for plastic.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    try araldite
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Epoxy resin normally works well and being thick you can surround the joint with it.

I've tried the metal reinforcement approach, using a paperclip or thick wire to tie the parts together then bond it all solid with epoxy, fine for areas where you can't see it. Oh and most takes 24 hours or more to fully harden, even the rapid set types.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It really depends on the plastic. I used this recently and its worked on some plastic pots I have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006U54GJ0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport