PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Five flats for sale in same building - red flag?

Options
I saw a listing on Rightmove for a flat that met all of my criteria. And then I saw another four, all in the same building. There seem to be about 30 flats in the building in total. 5/30 on the market at once seems like a lot, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

Comments

• walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could all be owned by the same landlord/company? We sold our London flat to a company who let flats to key workers. A few years down the line they own half the block. If that company/person decides to sell some of their stock, for whatever reason, that could be it?
  • itchyfeet123
    itchyfeet123 Posts: 480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Could all be owned by the same landlord/company? We sold our London flat to a company who let flats to key workers. A few years down the line they own half the block. If that company/person decides to sell some of their stock, for whatever reason, that could be it?

I don't think so because there are three different real estate agencies.
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think so because there are three different real estate agencies.
    Okay, then that's more of an issue, so I'd be wondering about bad neighbours, impending big bills to service the building, etc etc.
    It's 12.5% of the flats on the market at the same time. Have any been sold recently? If that's happened too then I'd def be running away
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Five sounds like a lot but out of 30 isn't that much.
    I would definitely want to check it out first rather than dismissing it.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    View all 5 then start the Dutch auction to see who will accept the lowest price.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Okay, then that's more of an issue, so I'd be wondering about bad neighbours, impending big bills to service the building, etc etc.
    It's 12.5% of the flats on the market at the same time. Have any been sold recently? If that's happened too then I'd def be running away

Maybe just people trying to offload BTL flats, should be good for dropping the price of the whole block, OP should hang on and see IMO.
  • RiversTam
    RiversTam Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    How old are the flats?
    If they are new build they may have equity loans up for payment all at the same time - ie 10 years. So will be trying to sell rather than find the chunk of money they owe.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RiversTam wrote: »
    How old are the flats?
    If they are new build they may have equity loans up for payment all at the same time - ie 10 years. So will be trying to sell rather than find the chunk of money they owe.

A good question but nothing to do with equity loans, just life. People often start out in a 1/2 bed flat. They meet someone, also with their own 1/2 bed flat, hook up, decide to have a family, sell two 1/2 bed flats and buy a 2/3/4 bed house. It's a natural life cycle and in a new build block of flats, the initial sales appear to be linked. After time, it balances out, so I'd say if the block is less than 3 years old, this is normal statistical behaviour.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Could also be a bit of a domino effect, you often see several houses for sale in the same road at once, or in a short space of time. House #1 goes up for sale, piques interest of other home owners in that street who may have been thinking of selling and up go theirs.

The year we bought our house approx 10% if the houses in the road went up for sale / sold.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check out sales in the block over the past say 5 year, is that sort of turnover normal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure