PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sign Contract First and Confirm Exchange Completion date

Options
Hi,

I am just wondering which one comes first. When you come near to exchange of contract do you sign the contract with your own solicitor first and then two solicitors decides on exchange and completion date or eveyrone agree on dates first and then you go and sign the contract?

My sol. said "... I will be in a position for you to attend the office to sign the contract and discuss a date for completion."

Does it matter?

Thanks

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    You sign the contract leaving the date blank. Your solicitor will then fill that ion when everyone has agreed on a completion date.

On my last sale, I signed the contract almost 3 months before completion!
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Different solicitors will have their own preferred ways of doing things, but what's generally the normal process is for you to sign the contract and leave it undated, then your solicitor will hold the signed contract until such time as the entire chain is ready to exchange. At that point the solicitor will fill in the dates.

Sometimes the solicitors will negotiate the completion date, sometimes it's the estate agent.
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    On my last sale, I signed the contract almost 3 months before completion!

Mind sharing why did it took that long?
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    ric1982 wrote: »
    Mind sharing why did it took that long?

You can sign the contract at almost any point during the transaction. We signed ours on our purchase 2 months ago. Still no sign of exchange yet.
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Is it ok to ask for my solicitor to agree on exchange and completion date first and sign the contract just before exchange?
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    I signed my 1 month before exchange, then posted it to my Sol. Then she dragged her feet for ages with various details. exchange was a month ago, still no firm completion date (new build). HTH
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it ok to ask for my solicitor to agree on exchange and completion date first and sign the contract just before exchange?

Is there a reason why you want to do that?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options

You can, but there does not appear to be any particular advantage for doing so.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Note that signing the contract means very little. It is exchanging the contracts that is the binding bit. The date will have been agreed by then.

I find it helpful to think of your solicitor as an extension of yourself.
    Imagine (back in the days when these things were done on paper!) applying for a credit card by signing the agreement, but not posting it back to the bank. Do you agree that the fact that you signed it means nothing?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'd just be creating more work for you and your solicitor, with no advantage to anyone. They're expecting you to sign everything you need to sign and (as far as possible) discuss anything which needs discussed at the one meeting. Which should be fair enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure