changing Supplier Under POA

Options
How easy/difficult is it going to be to change supplier of Gas &Electricity under a Power of attorney - anyone know?.

I have gone into cheap energy club and existing Supplier (who hold copy of POA) are showing over £100 cheaper. I Assume that it would be straight forward to change this so will probably do this.

BUT if at some time I decide to go for the cheaper deal available any ideas about how this would work? Anyone else done this?

So many questions, so little time.

Thanks
:T

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How is the new supplier going to know it is you and not the person for whom you hold POA ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't need PoA for the energy companies. Their procedures are not as strict as the banks. Impersonation works just fine. ;-)

Get an email address for the elderly relative and apply online to switch.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need even an email address. I ran (and switched) my mother's utility accounts online for years simply by signing up in her name but with my own (male) email address. It was never queried by a single supplier.
    On the odd occasion when I had to phone up, then as long I could pass security, there was no problem.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    There doesn't seem to be any checks at all. :(

On one switch they switched my neighbour rather than me, as they said I had chosen the wrong address from a pull down bar on the website! You would think they would at least confirm the meter numbers before a switch. Why else have meter numbers?
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • baffle
    Options
    Thanks to all who answered.

I am surprised at lack of checks by energy companies into who they are dealing with, previous experience with banks, HMRC, council and others have proved to be very time consuming and frustrating.

Good to know that it should be plain sailing for once.

Thanks again:wink:
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    You don't need even an email address
    Having an email address for my father-in-law allowed him to join Cheap Energy Club to get some cashback.
    On the odd occasion when I had to phone up, then as long I could pass security, there was no problem.
    On one occasion the security question was "Mother's maiden name?" I'd forgotten my father-in-law's mother's maiden name and just said "I've forgotten, she's been dead for years" This was accepted and I was able to arrange a refund of overpayment. At the end of the call the CSA told me the name I'd forgotten!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure