best bank card to receive income overseas?

Options
I've got a source of income from Singapore. What is the best option to receive the income (in Singapore Dollar), then probably convert to Pounds/USDollars and make payments in UK and US?

Many thanks,

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're asking about a 'bank card' but within the credit card board so it's not really clear exactly what you have in mind.

If you're looking to convert money from one currency to another then there are plenty of suggestions at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange/

If you're (subsequently) looking to make purchases in a different currency then try https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

Or if you're looking for multi-currency accounts perhaps try Fineco: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5666487

If these don't answer your question(s) then if you post more details about where you live, what existing accounts you have, and more detail about what you're trying to achieve, etc, then maybe you'll get some more suggestions!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dont convert it straight to GBP or USD.

Get a SGD account with HSBC. Store the money there, then at opportune moments in currency values transfer large sums to your GBP or USD account. Depending on the amount it may be beneficial to use a broker like RegentFe or Amex to get a better price than your bank account provider will give you if you just put the SGD straight into a GBP account.
  • littlewillow87
    Options
    So the situation is that we're British citizens living abroad in Vietnam. However, we have a remote job that is getting paid by a Singaporean company, in Singapore Dollars (the work is done remotely from Vietnam).
    And the family often make purchases in UK or US, to get them delivered to Vietnam.
    I know it's complicated. So we're thinking of the best way to deal with this.

I so far have a revolut card. I wonder if they can send the money to my revolut card. And I can use that card to either convert to GBP, USD, or send the money to a UK bank account?

@beany_bot: do you know if I can get a SGD account with HSBC, without living in Singapore?

@eskbanker: I kind of needing all those 3 that you've listed. I suppose a multi-currency account is what I need the most, so I'll look into Fineco first.
    I will get paid in SGD by end of this month so will need to figure out how to receive the money.
  • System
    Options
    Yes, of course you can. I have a USD account with HSBC but live in the UK. Just ask them. Many banks will do it for you.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I so far have a revolut card. I wonder if they can send the money to my revolut card. And I can use that card to either convert to GBP, USD, or send the money to a UK bank account?
    You can receive your SGD to your Revolut account if your employer will send it there by SWIFT transfer. Tap the + sign then select SGD from the currency drop down list to open your personal SGD account and your IBAN (GB) and BIC will be shown. Then of course you can convert at the interbank rate (weekdays) and send elsewhere or spend using the card.

Otherwise you can open an SGD account at any Singapore Bank to receive your salary, but conversion will not be so convenient or cost free.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • littlewillow87
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    You can receive your SGD to your Revolut account if your employer will send it there by SWIFT transfer. Tap the + sign then select SGD from the currency drop down list to open your personal SGD account and your IBAN (GB) and BIC will be shown. Then of course you can convert at the interbank rate (weekdays) and send elsewhere or spend using the card.

Otherwise you can open an SGD account at any Singapore Bank to receive your salary, but conversion will not be so convenient or cost free.

Got it. Thank you.
    Do you know which one has better rate, Revolut or Fineco?
  • System
    Options
    The problem with having it done automatically and "live" is that you are at the mercy of the exchange rates. If you hold it and then exchange it when rates are good you will save a great deal of money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can recommend Zenus Bank
    Zenus makes it easy and safe for everyone to access, send, receive and store money in the United States from anywhere in the world.
    - - - -
    US Bank Account | Open US Bank Account | Remote Bank Account | Digital Bank Account | Digital Bank | USA Bank Account | Zenus Bank | Open Bank Account remotely in US

8 month old post.

OP won’t be back...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family