What do you budget for maintenance?

Options
2»

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really don't think you can set a monthly figure for repairs to an older car. It's not going to work. I remember grumbling to a couple of lower paid workers that they were wasting money on new cars. They had taken out monthly PCPs. "It's alright for you. You can afford to drive an older car. We can't afford repairs." It seemed strange that the poorer people drove new cars but the rich drove older ones. It is an area though where DIY repairs make an awful difference. I would pay £50 for a timing belt where a garage would charge hundreds. DIY repairs cost a fraction of the garage price. You just have to keep driving it and analyzing the cost and if it's too much get rid of it. You will save a fortune in the long run but I am afraid you can't put a monthly figure on the cost.
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Options
    I try to put away £50 to £100 per month in a seperate account for repairs & consumables until I've got a grand - at that point, my assumption is I've got enough to cover pretty much anything that isn't going to write off the car, and if the absolute worst happened, I could go on ebay and buy a new car the next day if I needed to.

If/when I use some of the money, I begin to build it back up to a grand.

Then again mine's a 15yr old Clio 172, so even a new timing belt (and associated gubbins) can easily be upward of 400 smackers and you don't want to that particular job at home...

Having had to replace my own exhaust the other weekend I really do want to begin doing more stuff at home though - I genuinely don't know what I'd do without youtube when it comes to maintenance....
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Grand a year put aside for our 200k miles Audi A6, including tyres, air con gas, repairs I do at home, everything really.

This coming year I should think it will be no more than a couple of hundred so the costs come and go.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I really don't think you can set a monthly figure for repairs to an older car. It's not going to work.

I quoted a figure for budgeting purposes, which is just a way of assessing what I have to spend. I may spend more which means I'll go over budget and have to adjust it. I'm "rich" enough not to have to put specific money aside.

It looks like my A/c compressor has gone. Hot weather or not I'm not going to bother replacing it. That would be far too much over budget!:D
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    It looks like my A/c compressor has gone. Hot weather or not I'm not going to bother replacing it. That would be far too much over budget!

Had similar problem, left mine for 2 years and then asked garage to have a quick look when they changed the timing belt. Failure was the front pulley, £65 ish and easy to fit while in pieces.
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How long would expect break/ tyres to last?

I bought a new car so started from ground zero. I am at 23k miles in 1.5 years. How long could I go without replacing anything?
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    Options
    I don't budget, I service / fix it when it needs doing and it costs what it costs.

Over the 14 years I've owned this car it's cost me less than £1000/year average though.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have a pot of £500 per year and that is for any repair costs/MOT, when I dip into it for parts or MOT I start topping it back up again. The money is kept in its own account as a dedicated car pot. I shop around for insurance (currently have it on a 'normal' policy to keep my NCB going). I run a classic VW.

Best tip I can give you is make sure you trust your garage/mechanic.

You can check things out yourself ie lights/electrics just by switching them on/off.

Brakes, well, you will know when them are starting to go as it takes just a little longer, or needs more of a press.

Handbrake if it needs to be pointing to the roof lining to engage adjust /change the cable.

Clutch if you need to move your knee to your face before you can change gear then get it looked at.

Oils /fluids you can check/top up yourself.

Tyres check visually for defects, buy a tread measure for a couple of quid and avoid curbing your wheels/tyres. Make sure they are pumped to the recommended spec, also do not drive them pumped up to carrying a load if you dont do that).

Give your bodywork a once over when washing, look underneath to keep an eye out for rust /holes which need repairing (welding is expensive unless you can do it yourself).

Suspension press down on the body and see how many bounces before it stops (should only be press down and release, it goes back into standard hight without bobbing up/down a few times. When it starts bobbing your suspension needs looking at/start planning to replace).

Exhaust smoking (blue/black) after running for a few mins and your car needs looking at.

Spark plugs (or glowplug) change every few years.

Cam belt/chain google or check your manual to see when it should be replaced (can be expensive and cripple your car if not changed), you can here your engine making a different sound to what you are used to.

Yes, you can buy a haynes manual or even an owners guide (on ebay), but with the internet the info is available for free and many car groups on FB have a wealth of info/experience.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys, particularly MovingFowards for a 'checklist'!

I haven't budgeted in the past and just gone 'oh car in garage this month, best not go crazy on the spending', but if we're going to buy a house my income is going to be stretched a few more ways than it is currently so at least if I'm setting something aside I'm partway there. Another consideration is if the car needs a repair that costs more than it's worth which is unlikely but possible; I'd need some money to put towards a replacement.

One of our requirements in a house is off road parking, and especially if we're lucky enough to buy one with a garage, I'm hoping to be able to DIY some of the jobs and I have a relative who can teach me a fair bit. I can do bulbs and fluids, plus spray and fit a bumper, but I would have to look up how to jack a car and change the tyre.

The Haynes manual is under the stairs along with all the expensive AutoGlym products that I've used once or twice in the 4 years I've had them. Car is due a wash this weekend though :o
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 12:09AM
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    TAnother consideration is if the car needs a repair that costs more than it's worth which is unlikely but possible; I'd need some money to put towards a replacement.

I get your point & totally agree with you taking more notice of this aspect of budgeting (I was exactly the same) - but the above quote is something that people often say, but doesn't really make sense to me.

A car might easily be only "worth" a few hundred on the open market due to how fashionable it isn't, or how sexy it doesn't look, but at the same time be a thoroughly decent car, that you know the history of, and has been treated well.

If a job came up that ended up costing more than it's value, it would be emintently sensible to have the work done, because the alternative would be to replace it with a car that you don't know the history of, and no guarantee that you won't need to spend just as much in the near future on it's own set of problems.

Of course, cars can be money pits, but just because the monetary value of a job is more than the market value of the vehicle, doesn't not mean it's always wise to scrap the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure