Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary

Options
A new diary for a renewed enthusiasm for clearing the debt, reducing the mortgage and getting my home finished instead of the shambles it's in.

I have a few bits of debt left after a nice lump sum from my in-laws cleared the main overdraft these are:
* Hally overdraft currently £1012.19 - need to pay this off first due to the daily fees plus I still seem to pay £30 monthly fee! Need to check that out.
* MBNA credit card currently £2083.42
* Car finance last balance on statement in August this year was £9400.36 so 3 other payments since then will have left a balance of £8825.44.
* Hubby's computer stuff £293.10 - I could save the full balance and pay off.

I'm aiming to pay off the overdraft, the credit card and hubby's computer stuff at least in 2018, plus I also want to get my ds bedroom finished and my bedroom decorated too.

On Tuesday I will get CB payment so this will be the last money that is need for dh to go on his trip next week, I also need to use any money between now and Xmas for presents so main focus on debt busting won't be until after the festive season. I will have a budget for each person I need to buy for plus I will be making some items to reduce costs.

Some good changes for the new year:
* My repayments to HMRC for overpaid child tax credit ends in January, so an extra £10 a month back in the budget.
* DS after school club sent home a letter to say their charges are going up from £9 a day to £10.50, after chatting to dh and dd we will pick him up from school between ourselves therefore saving £144 a month based on current fees. I will do a letter for him to take tomorrow to say we are stopping his place and then there will only be 3 weeks left to pay. This will be lots back in the budget!
* I'm still waiting to hear if I've got an extra day fund through work, this will be lovely!

So my mission is to ensure that I use ynab properly and stick to budgets plus reduce food expenditure, continue doing surveys and use vouchers/money earned for birthdays and treats, reduce/re-use/recycle, and seek out the best offers/money back/discounts on all purchases.

H x

Comments

• hugglemonster
    Options
    My MSE things completed today:

* Washed the dishes instead of using dishwasher, I currently have a free big bag of dishwasher tablets to test but will use for big loads only.
    * Hung laundry on airer instead of using tumble dryer.
    * Cashed out a £15 voucher on a survey site and completed some other surveys.
    * Expenses form completed to be sent tomorrow with my monthly report, £250 owed.

H x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Afternoon all, just popping in between work as out tonight promoting a new group ready for the new year. Last night the kids and I went to the local cinema, very MSE as dd had a voucher for her birthday so that covered the fee and we just got a drink and one bag of popcorn, I have emailed the cinema with a complaint though as during the film trailers before the main film there was a lot of really bad swearing and I mean bad including the M....F... word, I would have left it but as the film was a 12a I would have thought that any trailers would be appropriate to the audience that would attend. Anyway I'm not expecting much from it but I've suggested that they look at this when showing other films.

Not much going on today and tomorrow as working but then I'm off for a few days as I'm doing a fundraising run/walk from Friday to Sunday covering about 80+ miles so a bit busy!

My MSE things of the day:
    * Washing on airer
    * Dishes washed by hand
    * Claimed £5 paypal from shopping receipts app
    * Refund from tshirts that dd wanted and didn't check size, £2 coin added to Xmas 2018 piggybank currently £28 in there
    * Tea from freezer this evening

If I get time before I go out I'll do some surveys and need to update ynab, plus I still need to do a report for work so I'd best do that first otherwise I won't get my expenses.

H x
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck :o I am also a ynab user
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Good afternoon, a busy day doing errands in town I'm so lucky that I live right across the street from the high street so can walk everywhere. I had to nip home half way through as the bank wasn't open until 10am and I'd finished everything else.

Mum popped round yesterday as my Grandad had left money for me and my siblings following his passing and gave us a cheque for £1000! I've paid this into the bank today and will leave it to help towards Xmas and also leave a buffer. I have also taken out money for DH trip and got his Euros. As this is now paid for and Xmas will be OK I can start paying bits off the overdraft, I sent the £5 from shopping app over and when expenses come in I will pay that too.

DH has been good, he was going to buy some bits for the home and clothes for his trip but after ordering he changed his mind and cancelled so a few refunds to come back. Plus he realised that he had enough clothes and only brought one shirt. Very impressed with him :D

My MSE things:
    * Used B**ts points to pay for a concealer, I don't shop there much so wasn't sure if I had enough so that was a bonus. This is the only makeup I wear.
    * Updated YNAB - need to have frugal month food wise, I'll be doing lots of batch cooking over the festive season as Jan/Feb will be busy.
    * Surveys completed and requested another small payout.

H x
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Happy new diary, and good luck with your plans.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Yeah, found you, happy new diary. You have made a great start onwards and upwards. xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Morning all, I've been packing for my 3 day adventure it's meant to be extremely cold with a high chance of snow so bit be a bit of a trek but I've packed good kit.

I received a cheque from an elderly relative for Xmas so I've paid that into the bank and transferred it to the overdraft, another £10 paid off plus after looking at the account and interest added I've paid off another £52.95 to bring it to £950. These daily charges are awful, hopefully my expenses won't take long to come through so I can put a nice lump in there and keep chipping away.

My MSE things:
    * Cut up old t-shirts to make dish clothes (not my tip!)
    * Food from stores, not shopping until Monday now as DH will be away, I'll be away and kids staying at my parents house.
    * Surveys to be completed

H x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Huggle,

Happy new shiny diary :D

xx
  • hugglemonster
    hugglemonster Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2017 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Morning all, just checking in after some very busy days, I completed my charity run and think it's finally caught up with me as feeling really run down today with a sore throat, earache and headache. Can't stop though lots to do still!

Working later on this afternoon and then when I pick up ds from after school club that will be his last one as I can pick him up each day until end of term. I still need to pay the final bill of £108 but that's fine then January will be super saving month.

I've been to get Xmas presents today, amazing how much difference there is in prices for the same things - love Home Bargains for this. I went to have a look in B**ts but I just find it is so overpriced £4 for one bath bomb is ridiculous! I've also order some vouchers through dh work scheme as we can get up to 10% off the value.

Still waiting for expenses to be paid and need to catch up on surveys, looking forward to when kids finish school next week some we can make some treats to add to the presents.

H x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport