IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County Court Claim from CEL

Options
124»

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 October 2018 at 1:28AM
    Options
    We regulars laugh that we are really pedantic about reading signs and we would never collect a PCN ourselves as we would never fall foul of PPC scammers' tricks! I read every word and check out which scammer it is, and choose to just boycott the retailers and leave sometimes.

I also warn other car park users (saved someone from UKCPS the other week). The elderly driver had parked VERY badly in an almost empty car park and I explained why that's not a good idea and would cost them £100 penalty - they had no idea, the signs are woeful. They re-parked and thanked me.

I've taught my adult kids how to read/understand even the most complicated parking signs, including Council on-street ones, and they know all the rules & exemptions and how to appeal a scam private one.

A useful skill, given the pariah of this industry.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Dartforddad
    Options
    OK, defence was sent and has been acknowledge by the court via a letter.

The letter states that the defence has been sent to the claimant and they have 28 days to respond on how they want to proceed.

This all makes sense though reading the various threads I thought directions questionnaire (Form N180) would be sent to both parties.

I ask this as the MCOL site says DQ was sent on the 29th October though all we have is the acknowledgement letter mentioned above.

Sorry if I’m asking silly questions but this is my first experience of this process.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry if I’m asking silly questions...
    Not there are no silly questions there.
    If fact, I can't see any questions in your latest post. ;)

If you want to, you can download a blank DQ from the court forms finder webpages - stick those bold words into google to find it.
  • Dartforddad
    Options
    Thought I might as well post the full letter from the court:

I acknowledge receipt of your defence. A copy is being served on the claimant (or the claimant's solicitors).The claimant may contact you direct to attempt to resolve any dispute. If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed. The court will then inform you of what will happen.

Where he wishes to proceed, the claimant must contact the court within 28 days after receiving a copy of your defence. After that period has elapsed, the claim will be stayed. The only action the claimant can then take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

I read this as sit and wait (though obviously with an eye to the potential next stage)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Correct .
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, that's a bog standard letter. Everyone gets that.

Still you have asked no questions.

My previous post continues to apply.
  • Dartforddad
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Yes, that's a bog standard letter. Everyone gets that.

Still you have asked no questions.

My previous post continues to apply.

Sorry, put another way, should I contact the court and ask about the DQ, or sit and wait.

I would gather from one of the responses the correct action is to wait.
  • Dartforddad
    Options
    By my calculations and allowing 5 days grace for postage CEL should of responded by now, but we have heard nothing and the MCOL website has not changed. Given the last item we received was the letter from the court advising they were waiting 28 days for a response from the claimant should we not expect to hear something soon ?
    We tried calling the court but they were little help as they only confirmed the letter we have already received.
    Given they decided to take this to claim it would seem strange to miss a simple deadline (though reading other threads nothing should surprise me )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure