Missing Parcel

Options
I’m just after some advice regarding a parcel that has been marked as delivered via Royal Mail Tracked from an online order I placed only the parcel has not arrived and I didn’t receive a card indicating it had been left with a neighbour, I’ve also tried my neighbours just in case the postman/lady left it their without leaving a card but to no avail.

Now I’ve contacted the online shop explaining this and they’ve basically washed their hands with it from their end saying ‘As your parcel was dispatched from us without error, and has been marked by the couriers as delivered, we are no longer able to provide further assistance with the receipt of your parcel.‘

This doesn’t seem correct to me as surely they have some responsibility for the item reaching me, they’ve informed me that I must now contact Royal Mail myself but I’m not happy with this and would like any information on what my rights are in such a case.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The online shop contracted to supply and deliver the goods to you, so it sounds like they are in breach of contract.

In theory, you could ask your bank for a chargeback on the payment card (or section 75 claim) or make a claim through the small claims court.

But the online shop would probably try to defend it by showing the delivery confirmation.

It might be worth contacting Royal Mail to see what they say (perhaps their delivery person will remember more details). If nothing else, it would make your claim sound more credible, if you can show that you've made some efforts to track down the parcel.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the delivery method require a signature? If so ask the seller to provide you with a copy of the signature, and if it's not yours (which it won't be) then you have some evidence to back up a card claim, or if necessary court action.
  • GoldenGaze
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Did the delivery method require a signature? If so ask the seller to provide you with a copy of the signature, and if it's not yours (which it won't be) then you have some evidence to back up a card claim, or if necessary court action.

No it wasn’t ‘Signed For’ it was a tracked and I’m pretty sure it holds GPS position from where it was claimed to be delivered to. I’ll contact Royal Mail now to see what they say but to say I’m disappointed at the online retailers response is an understatement.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem you may face is that RM might refuse to speak to you as you were not their customer, you would need to go through the retailer. If they refuse to assist then that would be ammunition to support your case.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The problem you may face is that RM might refuse to speak to you as you were not their customer, you would need to go through the retailer. If they refuse to assist then that would be ammunition to support your case.

They will speak to the OP without issue.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    They will speak to the OP without issue.

Obviously you know considerably more than I do about the way RM works so I accept what you say, but they must be one of the few organisations in the country that would discuss a contractual issue with someone who is not a party to that contract.
  • CT450
    Options
    I had a similar problem, a signed for parcel went missing. It turns out the postman signed for the parcel and left it outside my house. It was stolen but paypal paid the sender because of the fraudulent signature. I have been right through the complaints process but only been offered £50 compensation because that was the insurance max. My argument is that royal Mail have admitted the postman did not follow procedures and signed for the parcel but will not refund the full value of the item (£400). The police said he had committed fraud. Does anyone in the know think I would have case at the small claims court. If it wasn't for that fraudulent signature I would have been refunded in full by paypal and the sender would have been faced with £50 compensation.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you saying the seller has had the full value refunded AND kept your money?

You shouldn't be dealing with Royal Mail anyway, your contract is with the seller. I'd speak to Paypal again, on the phone if necessary as they should be refunding you the full value. The level of insurance isn't a problem. If Paypal don't produce ask the seller directly for a full refund. If they refuse send a LBA and then take them to the county court.
  • custardy
    Options
    CT450 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, a signed for parcel went missing. It turns out the postman signed for the parcel and left it outside my house. It was stolen but paypal paid the sender because of the fraudulent signature. I have been right through the complaints process but only been offered £50 compensation because that was the insurance max. My argument is that royal Mail have admitted the postman did not follow procedures and signed for the parcel but will not refund the full value of the item (£400). The police said he had committed fraud. Does anyone in the know think I would have case at the small claims court. If it wasn't for that fraudulent signature I would have been refunded in full by paypal and the sender would have been faced with £50 compensation.

I would push back. Its not your fault the sender chose the wrong service.
    I'll be honest I have no idea on taking RM to court but given the values involved,why not?
    Might be worth hitting them up on Twitter in the first option though.
  • custardy
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Are you saying the seller has had the full value refunded AND kept your money?

You shouldn't be dealing with Royal Mail anyway, your contract is with the seller. I'd speak to Paypal again, on the phone if necessary as they should be refunding you the full value. The level of insurance isn't a problem. If Paypal don't produce ask the seller directly for a full refund. If they refuse send a LBA and then take them to the county court.

Sounds more like the OP lost the paypal dispute and the seller kept the payment.
    RM paid out a £50 compo to the intended recipient
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport