Business banking

Options
Hey guys so I have recently launched my own range of men's grooming products anyway I'm currently using my personal current account for payments which isn't ideal for loads of reasons.

My bank is upgrading there IT systems and isn't taking new customers because of this reason, Also I have a bad credit file so I'm guessing that's gunna go against me.

Any suggestions for business accounts or ones for people with very poor credit reports
Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why bother.
    Business accounts may be free for the first X years but our Nat West one is now 35p per transaction

:(
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Try Starling

https://www.starlingbank.com/business-account/

I think you need a personal account with them first but that's quick to set up.
  • frenchplonka
    frenchplonka Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Why bother.
    Business accounts may be free for the first X years but our Nat West one is now 35p per transaction

:(

Its more the headache of going though statements and highlighting business transaction vs personal ones i just need a ideal situation plus i think its against most banks T&C to run a business through a personal account
  • Zanderman
    Options
    Its more the headache of going though statements and highlighting business transaction vs personal ones i just need a ideal situation plus i think its against most banks T&C to run a business through a personal account

Not just most banks. I'm not sure any bank's t&c allow personal accounts to be used for business.

So a business account is essential if you are to avoid the (very real) risk of a bank closing your personal account because you used it for business.

I'm not sure why J B says 'why bother' in their post. Their argument seems to be only that business accounts usually cost money to run.

Which is true, but isn't what you were asking and isn't an argument for not having one.

And there are low cost options, even free ones (e.g. starling, as I suggested above).
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Not just most banks. I'm not sure any bank's t&c allow personal accounts to be used for business.

So a business account is essential if you are to avoid the (very real) risk of a bank closing your personal account because you used it for business.

I'm not sure why J B says 'why bother' in their post. Their argument seems to be only that business accounts usually cost money to run.

Which is true, but isn't what you were asking and isn't an argument for not having one.

And there are low cost options, even free ones (e.g. starling, as I suggested above).

I will def look into Starling my main issue is my poor credit history stops me getting current accounts so im assuming a business account would be the same I maybe wrong
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed the T&C's do, but it doesn't stop plenty of folks doing it!

I've never heard of anyone having their account closed for this - have you?

Yup, that's it.

Maybe the OP could open another 'private' account to use for business transactions.

:D
  • Zanderman
    Options

Yes.

And I've been trying to answer the OP's question. Have you?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I will def look into Starling my main issue is my poor credit history stops me getting current accounts so im assuming a business account would be the same I maybe wrong

Well apply, you wont know if you dont try.
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Well apply, you wont know if you dont try.

Hey guys so I applied for the sterling account and got it passed so thats all good I have read there T&C and charges and seems a decent deal to me
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    Options

Yes all of the time for breach of T&C's.

I understand people do do it but they do run the risk of their account being closed down and they then face the risk of finding it difficult to open any accounts due to the breach.

Please don't suggest someone do this just because you don't think they can be traced.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing