Confusion about DLA to PIP Change Over

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am really confused and hope that you can help.

I was on low rate DLA for life then got the dreaded brown envelope 'inviting' me to apply for PIP. I had supporting evidence which I sent. An assessor phoned my GP and CPN then lied on her report. My case was given to another assessor who phoned my GP and CPN to have my GP let's just say set them straight on lying. I got a letter yesterday telling me that I have been awarded enhanced rate PIP !!

Now the confusion starts.

I get my DLA every 4 weeks on a Tuesday and am due my next DLA on 9th July.

The PIP letter says my award goes from 24th July and is paid every 4 weeks on a Friday in arrears.

It goes on to say that my first PIP payment will be on 15th August which includes money they owe me from 24th July.

What happens now with my DLA? I mean will I continue to be paid my DLA until 16th August or does it stop now? if it stops now that will mean I have no DLA on 9th July so would be without any payment until 15th August.

I always get really confused if I have to call them so thought I would ask you.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    DLA is paid three weeks in arrears and one week in advance. PIP is paid four weeks in arrears. So if you receive your last DLA payment on 9th July, and your PIP is paid on 15th August, taking into account the different day that it is paid, it's around five weeks, which is correct.
  • unsureandconfused
    Options
    DLA is paid three weeks in arrears and one week in advance. PIP is paid four weeks in arrears. So if you receive your last DLA payment on 9th July, and your PIP is paid on 15th August, taking into account the different day that it is paid, it's around five weeks, which is correct.

Ah great thanks so much. I didn't know how it worked. I hope I do get my DLA on 9th July.

Do I need to call ESA to tell them that I am now on enhanced PIP instead of low rate DLA?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 June 2019 at 11:30PM
    Options
    Do I need to call ESA to tell them that I am now on enhanced PIP instead of low rate DLA?
    You say you're awarded Enhanced rate but which part, daily living or Mobility?

If it's daily living, it may entitle you to more ESA but it will depend on your circumstances. Do you live alone or classed as living alone? If you live with a partner do they also claim a qualifying benefit such as mid/high rate care DLA, PIP daily living or Attendance Allowance?

Are you claim Income Related ESA or Contributions based?
  • unsureandconfused
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You say you're awarded Enhanced rate but which part, daily living or Mobility?

If it's daily living, it may entitle you to more ESA but it will depend on your circumstances. Do you live alone or classed as living alone? If you live with a partner do they also claim a qualifying benefit such as mid/high rate care DLA, PIP daily living or Attendance Allowance?

Are you claim Income Related ESA or Contributions based?

I have been awarded enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility.

I do live alone and I get income related ESA. I am in the support group
  • poppy12345
    Options
    As you live alone then you'll be entitled to claim the severe disability premium (SDP) in with your ESA.

You will need to wait for your PIP award to start before you can claim this but once it has, ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. Decisions for this can take a couple of weeks but you'll receive an extra £65.85 per week in your ESA, just make sure that no one is going to claim carers allowance for looking after you other you won't be able to claim the SDP.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/disability-premiums-in-benefits
  • unsureandconfused
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As you live alone then you'll be entitled to claim the severe disability premium (SDP) in with your ESA.

You will need to wait for your PIP award to start before you can claim this but once it has, ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. Decisions for this can take a couple of weeks but you'll receive an extra £65.85 per week in your ESA, just make sure that no one is going to claim carers allowance for looking after you other you won't be able to claim the SDP.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/disability-premiums-in-benefits

Ohhh ok I didn't know I could get more ESA.

Thank you so much!
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Ohhh ok I didn't know I could get more ESA.

Thank you so much!
    No problem. It will be because you'll be claiming daily living rate for PIP. While you were claiming low rate DLA then you wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure