Smart Meters - let me know the pro's....

Options

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure how they get their power though given in some cases they would be too far to get near the electric supply, that is if they are connected to it at all. Given the relatively long life of NiMH type batteries, this may not be a big issue as I understand it, it can communicate (maybe) with the electric meter to send its readings that way. ..

This does actually pose an interesting question (ignore if it makes no sense) , someone who has a conventional non-smart electric meter and a smart gas meter but who's gas meter is too far from any form of electric supply if its needed, now how well does that work ?

Smart gas meters have a long life battery and a very low power transmitter to send the info to the electricity meter. Connecting gas meters to the mains electricity could be a bit dangerous.

A smart gas meter won't work without an associated smart electricity meter.

LPG bulk tanks outside have a telemetry sensor that phones home, but that only sends in a reading once a month or so, or when the tank is nearly empty.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Yes there are. :) A few different types as you'd expect, same as the variance in manufacturers for the electric ones.

I'm not 100% sure how they get their power though given in some cases they would be too far to get near the electric supply, that is if they are connected to it at all. Given the relatively long life of NiMH type batteries, this may not be a big issue as I understand it, it can communicate (maybe) with the electric meter to send its readings that way.

Sometimes if you have the same supplier (unsure if it would work with different ones) you have both Elec/Gas on the same 'IHD' (in home display) unit.

The idea is roughly the same though, you have a display in the house ( in the cupboard? back in its box ? :D ) and the Smart meter doing its own thing under the stairs/outside etc etc

This does actually pose an interesting question (ignore if it makes no sense) , someone who has a conventional non-smart electric meter and a smart gas meter but who's gas meter is too far from any form of electric supply if its needed, now how well does that work ?

Our BG installed smart gas meter is battery operated and communicates with the smart electric meter, which then sends both readings back to wherever - except they're SMETS1 and I'm no longer a BG customer, so they're dumb. What will happen when the gas meter battery eventually runs out will be interesting to see as there is no other source of power to the meter and it's not a user replaceable item. It was installed in 2017 and it uses a small amount of power to drive the digital display whenever you press the button to read it, which I do daily.

Interesting thought about a smart gas meter without a smart electric meter. Presumably that is an impossible scenario that would never be installed?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 June 2019 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence for this?

Existing pre-payment meters will automatically disconnect when the credit runs out. The energy companies wouldn't give up this feature when upgrading to smart meters. In any case, remote disconnection (load shedding) is defined in the SMETS2 specification, see Section 5.5.3.9 "Disable Supply".

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/57395/remote-disconnection-and-ppm-guidance-open-letter-160810-pdf
    When a prepay runs out of credit they are not "disconnected " Its different to a proper disconnection because the supply is ended before the main fuse with an electricity supply. with a disconnected prepay meter it would nt work even if credit was added.
    . In the "soft touch " UK disconnections by suppliers are extremely rare, even when the occupier is known to be thieving energy constantly.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Exactly! So you are not paying for what you've used.

You are instead paying an 'average' of what the supplier 'thinks' you've used :)

Is that any different from supplying a reading even just once a year?
    Well you're paying for it in advance, but surely that beats owing money at Christmas which is a time that most people find financially difficult.

I keep my own regular readings, so I know exactly what my previous 12 months is. If my usage indicates such high use that my direct debit needs to increase, I already know about it before my supplier has even billed me. It also allows me to find discrepancies, such as a wrong reading or extra high usage one particular month.

It's not just about keeping on top of your finances, it's a responsibility too - something too many people shirk off these days.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2019 at 6:03PM
    Options
    I keep my own regular readings, so I know exactly what my previous 12 months is. If my usage indicates such high use that my direct debit needs to increase, I already know about it before my supplier has even billed me. It also allows me to find discrepancies, such as a wrong reading or extra high usage one particular month.
    Of course, if Ofgem were any good they'd rule that Variable Direct Debit should be the default, so that you were billed for the exact amount each month. Fill up at the petrol pump and you pay for what you've used; why should gas and electricity be any different?

Fixed Direct Debit only makes bills difficult to understand and hard to spot excessive consumption in a timely manner. Even worse, it allows fly-by-night companies to build up large capital sums despite having unsustainable tariffs. This encourages Ponzi schemes to flourish until the bubble inevitably bursts. No fewer than eleven of these outfits have recently gone bust, costing the rest of us £172 million to bail them out via the levy that makes everyone's bills more expensive.

Fixed DDs should still be made available, but only for customers who request them.
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While we have seen many pro's and against for smart meters there is also the big con......the misconception that you have to have one from some of the energy companies, you do not.
    Plus now you have the deals along which only come with you agreeing to a smart meter thus forcing your hand to get a cheaper deal.
    So far I have resisted, why well several years ago we were left a device that showed the electric we were using, it was plugged in the hall, for the week the utility company left it with us I was constantly darting in the hall to see what happening, yes I discovered the oven on scooted it up and didn't even want to know what the dryer would do(us it in emergencies anyway). This device left me thinking how obsessed one could become and how my Sunday roast might be a thing of the past.
    My motto has always been if it heats up it eats up.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They can can turn you electric and gas off in the middle of the winter like this did with this women.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jun/26/ovo-smart-meter-readings-error-disconnected
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »
    Hmmm can see that going down well at work, just nipping home to put the washer on as its cheap leccy time, mind you its a 45 min drive each way so may not be as environmentally friendly as it seems.

You'll be able to turn the washing machine on remotely over the internet.

Then your smoke detector will be able to send you a text message telling you it's caught fire.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I must really turn my mobile on 24/7
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well you're paying for it in advance, but surely that beats owing money at Christmas which is a time that most people find financially difficult.

It's not just about keeping on top of your finances, it's a responsibility too - something too many people shirk off these days.

I'm sorry, we seem to be at cross-purposes.
    The original poster made a statement that having a smart meter meant he was only paying for what he used.

I was making the point that paying for the exact amount you'd used every month was fine, but your winter bills would likely be too high for most people to budget for.

Of course, most people have their annual usage calculated, and spread that cost over 12 months to give 12 equal payments, which is much easier to budget for.

I also made the point that supplying even just 1 meter read per year, meant you were STILL only paying for what you had used, regardless of whether you had a smart meter :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure