SORN before selling

Options
andyca
andyca Posts: 163 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
Hi,

The Road Tax is due on my car at the end of October, but I'm in the middle of selling it; I have a deposit, collection and final payment arranged for the 2nd November.

The new owner will be taxing it and insuring it on the 2nd in order to drive it home....

Do I need to SORN it for a single day, or will the DVLA work out what has happened?
I'm assuming as you can only tax for full calendar months it will be taxed for October and November, so no problem right?

Comments

• Simby
    Simby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It would be best to either pay your road tax renewal and then claim a refund or SORN it.. even one day is a big risk

I personally would not take the risk but would make sure I was legal at all times

If you got caught you would have to declare on future car insurance etc so would cost more in the long run
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    technically you need to SORN it. It costs nothing so why not do it?
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    although the info above is valid

I would not worry for ONE day

and re reading post above
    "If you got caught you would have to declare on future car insurance etc so would cost more in the long run"

to my knowledge a DVLA fine for non tax , is not something you have to inform insurance about
  • andyca
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, just to clarify i won't be driving it on the 1st and it will be parked on the drive so no chance of 'getting caught'

Might just do it online, I've never done a SORN so I just assumed it was complicated or might mean more hassle for the new buyer etc to un-SORN it.
  • SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Simby wrote: »
    It would be best to either pay your road tax renewal and then claim a refund or SORN it.. even one day is a big risk

I personally would not take the risk but would make sure I was legal at all times

If you got caught you would have to declare on future car insurance etc so would cost more in the long run

Which insurance companies ask about a dvla fine or non endorsable offences?
  • SHAFT
    Options
    andyca wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, just to clarify i won't be driving it on the 1st and it will be parked on the drive so no chance of 'getting caught'

Might just do it online, I've never done a SORN so I just assumed it was complicated or might mean more hassle for the new buyer etc to un-SORN it.

If you declare it sorn at the end of October where's your nearest post office for the new keeper to tax it?
  • andyca
    Options
    SHAFT wrote: »
    If you declare it SORN at the end of October where's your nearest post office for the new keeper to tax it?

Just around the corner... But I'm guessing they will do it on their phone.
  • andyca
    Options
    Just went through the form online and it's really easy... it even says the SORN start date is 1st November!

Then on the confirmation page it says:
    "Once a SORN is made, you will not be able to transact online for 5 days. The vehicle can be taxed at the Post Office during this period."

Just as I suspected the bureaucracy is lurking around every corner. :)
    I'll leave it for now and try to get confirmation from the DVLA tomorrow on best practices... failing that I'll give the new buyer a lift to the post office.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    however if you do a change of owner via dvla online whilst the person is at your house , you can follow it by a retax , using new owner and there debit card

you use number from new keeper slip , not v5
  • SHAFT
    Options
    andyca wrote: »
    Just around the corner... But I'm guessing they will do it on their phone.

No if you've declared it sorn online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport