Options
2»

Comments

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. As my husband said when he was diagnosed with cancer, "life is terminal" and there's no avoiding it. While this man may well be ill he really doesn't sound like he is in the stages of terminal illness as most of us understand it.

Edit - my husband was diagnosed 10 years ago and is currently free of cancer, but minus one kidney. Chances are he will outlive me.

Im guessing i may be misinterpreting this, but having lost my partner to a terminal illness i am curious as to whether you suggesting "life is terminal" is somehow worse prognosis than someone with a limited life expectancy?
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. My OH and I were engaged 4 months after our first date, so I understand that length of a relationship is not necessarily an indicator of the depth of feelings.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Have you seen proof that he is actually terminally ill - or is it possible that he benefited from you being super sympathetic until he got bored or somebody threatened to expose him as a fraud?

Whatever the case, he's now your ex. His choice, it hurts, I'm sorry he's dumped you. But if there's a possibility he hasn't been quite as honest as you think, maybe that would stop you agonising over him?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May 2018 at 8:33PM
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    Im guessing i may be misinterpreting this, but having lost my partner to a terminal illness i am curious as to whether you suggesting "life is terminal" is somehow worse prognosis than someone with a limited life expectancy?

It wasn't a worse prognosis.

It was a recognition that none of us can hold on to life forever and that everyone is going to die of something. It was one man's way of coping with the a difficult situation and being determined that life is for living, no matter how long you have.

I'm sorry if it came across clumsily.

It's a shame that the op's boyfriend is reacting in this way, but I do think the title is slightly dramatic. We also have no way of knowing exactly why the relationship has broken down. Maybe it's the illness, maybe it isn't.

I think terminal illness is used medically when life expectancy is quite short, maybe months or a year or two at most. The boyfriend has been living fairly healthily (from what the op says) for years and there seems no immediate risk, so I don't think it sounds terminal as it is most often used.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    It wasn't a worse prognosis.

It was a recognition that none of us can hold on to life forever and that everyone is going to die of something. It was one man's way of coping with the a difficult situation and being determined that life is for living, no matter how long you have.

I'm sorry if it came across clumsily.

It's a shame that the op's boyfriend is reacting in this way, but I do think the title is slightly dramatic. We also have no way of knowing exactly why the relationship has broken down. Maybe it's the illness, maybe it isn't.

I think terminal illness is used medically when life expectancy is quite short, maybe months or a year or two at most. The boyfriend has been living fairly healthily (from what the op says) for years and there seems no immediate risk, so I don't think it sounds terminal as it is most often used.

As far as i remember (it was a while ago), terminal illness is quite straightforward to diagnose ... life expectancy, however, is more difficult to predict
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP I think the heat is making people quite insensitive. Sorry for what you are going through.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills