Car insurance and liability

Options
Hi,

I had a car accident this year in July. I was on approach to a T-junction when the other vehicle turned into the junction cutting the corner and hit me. To specify I had not got to the junction nor was I leaving the junction.
I have debated liability since the accident as I believe he was fully liable but have come to realise proving fault especially in a T-junction is very difficult so agreed with my insurance company to offer a 50/50 split which we did in September.
The other driver and his insurance company have been difficult since day 1, anyway today my insurance have informed me that they haven't accepted, declined or acknowledged the offer just stated that they will be taking the case to court after over 2 months of silence from their end and my insurance company chasing.
I am concerned with all of this I've only been driving 6 months, I had my 2 children in the car and it's just massively affected me. I am just debating settling as the thought of court is terrifying and my youngest is currently undergoing tests for autism so it's alot to deal with and I just feel so overwhelmed.
Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You cannot settle this yourself (unless you are intending to pay the costs yourself!)

Your insurer will deal with this and settle as they think fit

If it goes to court then you must assist your insurer (you will have agreed to this when agreeing their ts & cs at the time you took out the policy)

No need to be terrified of court (the court will be the county court, not the magistrates!)

As long as you have told the truth about the incident you have nothing to fear

Whatever the outcome, your insurer will be paying any amount the court orders
  • Josie2117
    Options
    When I said settle I meant just accept full liabilty as the thought of going through all of this is getting to me.
    I am telling the truth but I'm scared as never been in any court room let alone having to defend myself.
    I'm worried I'll also have to pay for the legal costs which I just can't afford.
    Like I said only passed my test 6 months ago and now I've got all this to deal with because someone hit me :(
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You are worrying unnecessarily

Your insurer will be paying if anything has to be paid!

You cannot "accept full liability"!

You cannot accept any liability - this is also down to your insurer to decide (or the Court if that's where liability is decided)

Just put it to the back of your mind - it may not even come to a court hearing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure