Fixing Today for a Brighter Tomorrow!

Options

Comments

• ftbwannabe
    Options
    Totally get the fear, but you're right: it is a sensible financial decision, & you do have enough willpower to pay it back.
    £70 is a great amount to have saved yourself, woot!
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • s1n25
    s1n25 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    £70 extra for the wedding!! :)
    Debt Free Diary..."Start of a new chapter"
    Nov: Unsecured Debt : £2,900.. Bring your lunch to work 1/18..NSD challenge 5/20

• SavingAFuture
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate your support :)
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    This has been my first 10 days of following a proper monthly spending budget, over and above the essentials (groceries, petrol etc.)

I sat down on pay day and wrote down all of the activities, birthdays and things to be bought in September with a clear budget against them. So for example: after work drinks £10, birthday gift £20, dance class £10 per week... I used to give myself an approximate figure like £50 a week for frivolous spends but this never quite worked as it didn't account for a month with expensive activities near the end. This way I've been able to see what's coming up and save some pennies back accordingly. I've then been motivated to try and come in under budget for each item. It's also shown me where I can do things such as drive or walk instead of trains and taxis, and have soft drinks instead of booze to keep under budget. It's become something of a game to keep it under control. So far, so good!

It's also realistic and shows me how £50 a week is not always accurate, meaning I'd end up reaching for the credit card to cover a shortfall or over spending unnecessarily because the money was there.

I'd budgeted £129 for the month so far and only actually spent £49. Proud.
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You inspire me!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    Had a little slip up today. Only minor but I'm annoyed about it.
    I was having a miserable morning at work (won't go into all the details) and my colleague said she was popping to the shops to buy some lunch and did I want to go with her. I said "yes" but only to stretch my legs and get away from my desk but in my irritation I ended up treating myself to a £3 pot of berries. As I say, it could have been worse but I didn't NEED those berries. Emotional shopping. Grr.
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad time at work.
    It could have been a worse emotional spend.
    Find something in your home worth £3 and sell it to make yourself feel better! That is the kind of thing I do!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    I've done it. I bit the bullet and paid my car insurance in full. I wish I'd done it last week as the price had gone up by £15 this week which is annoying. But it's still better than paying monthly. That's one less direct debit to worry about each month.

My wedding saving account is looking a little bit dented now but I know that I will pay that money back to myself in good time if I maintain a little bit of discipline. I spoke to my bank as well and have transferred the savings into a different account that gives me a little more interest each month so that's pleasing to see.

I can't believe how many sensible choices I've made this year. I used to think I was fundamentally bad with money but I've proved that it doesn't have to be the case.

This weekend I went out Fri, Sat & Sun with friends and family but managed to keep within my budget. Even included a trip to London with my Dad. I explained to him that I was on a budget and we could go for a meal but it would have to be somewhere cheap…then he offered to pay! Cheeky but it works.
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    Also - ordered my bridesmaid dresses online. I ordered a selection of sizes to see what worked best for the girls and now I have one I have to return. Must not forget. That'll be £56 coming back in :)
  • SavingAFuture
    Options
    This weekend I was supposed to be away camping with my family but the weather report looked so awful, we decided not to go. I was sad to miss out on camping but a tiny bit of me was excited to be saving the money instead. I reckon it's saved me at least £50.

Just one more week to go and we're at payday again. It's been a successful month overall. I have remembered to take lunch to work with me every day and I've generally stuck within my budget for the month. No unexpected spends and there's still a few pounds leftover in my spending account. I'm planning to use that to treat myself to a whiteboard so I can keep track of our meal plans.

I feel like it's so easy to take your eye off the ball as the month goes on. I'm going to sit down and look at all my spends for October and come up with a new budget so I keep on track.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure