Animal Friends payout issues

Options
2»

Comments

• nonex_2
    nonex_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah, it's nonsense. It's in their interest to recognise this at the complaints stage and save themselves the FOS fee of £550. Give them the eight weeks and see what they say. If they maintain this position, go to FOS.

Everyone has good and bad stories of every insurer and while AF definitely have a bad rep (maybe not as bad as they used to) bear in mind that it might be worth arguments like this every now and then about the settlement amount to know you have a high level of cover for your pet on a lifetime basis. Like sure you probably wish you chose Petplan or whoever now but the cover
    they'll offer you will be limited (even if they don't specifically exclude or they remove an exclusion). If there's any risk this condition could recur don't leave them, would be my advice for now. It sucks but welcome to the world of pet insurance!

If you are determined to look elsewhere, forward a full clinical history to your new insurer and allow them to underwrite before cancelling your old policy so you know exactly what exclusions they will place and they don't cry non-disclosure down the road.
  • Mich3085
    Options
    I’m a bit annoyed with the vets. I phoned them on Monday asking what I should do and they said not to panic and they’ll give me time to get it resolved.
    I phoned today to pay the second excess and said I was still waiting to hear back from their accounts person to confirm what they expected.
    I got home to an abrupt letter demanding that I get in touch within 5 days. This is after I’d phoned and emailed on Monday.
    Do AF have to pay the ombudsman when someone complains?
  • nonex_2
    Options
    Mich3085 wrote: »
    Do AF have to pay the ombudsman when someone complains?
    Yes if you don't accept their "final response" or if they don't deliver it after 8 weeks you can bring this to the Ombudsman Service. This is free for you, but costs them £550 even if they win the dispute.

If you (or AF) disagree with the FOS adjudicator/investigator decision, it can then be brought to an Ombudsman. The business is legally bound by this decision. And that's before your final option of court (probably more trouble than its worth).

Based on what you said above and assuming there aren't other factors we're not aware of I think you are in a good position with this complaint. Ambiguous terms and conditions are interpreted in a customer-favourable way for FOS complaints. Just be aware decisions can take quite a few additional months, so you may want to pay your vet bill if AF don't pay out after their initial complaints process.
  • Mich3085
    Options
    Thanks. I’m finding your knowledge reassuring!

I can pay the £350 or whatever it is, but it will probably need to be another £100 from this months salary (I’ve already paid £198 excess) and then the balance by the end of January.
    I’m hoping the vets see that as reasonable.
    There’s not much more to add. My cat had no pre existing conditions before he was insured - he’d only been in to be neutered, chipped and vaccinated! Poor fella 😂
  • nonex_2
    Options
    Mich3085 wrote: »
    Thanks. I’m finding your knowledge reassuring!

Thank you! It's the industry I work in so I'm happy to share. I hope Bruno is feeling better!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are other companies who state they reserve the right to restrict fees which they consider excessive. I don't know who off hand but remember reading it when researching for my own pets' policies.

One actually quoted a maximum amount it would pay put for an out of hours charge.

This came in when it was felt that vets were charging more when there was an insurance claim.

The specific 'out of hours vets' who sprung up to cover nights, weekends and holidays were charging excessive amounts to open the door before they began to treat your animal at a high cost.

I don't know if it is available to the public but I was told by my vet's wife that my practice's charges were in the middle of the range of charges.
  • Mich3085
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just an update that I have had the final decision from Animal Friends. They say they can not uphold the complaint, however on this occasion they will cover the fees.
    Their response was quite arrogant however they did concede that Bruno was very unwell and required round the clock care.
    Just waiting to get the £350 or so back.
    It’s always worth complaining in these cases, though going forward I’ll ask them and the vets more questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure