PIP Home assessment

Options

Comments

• TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    That was a good result. Not just the award but also having an assessor that cared enough about what she was doing to make sure that she fully understood how your life has been impacted. 90mins! Having had 3 of these none lasted more then 30mins probably helped by them refusing to ask any open questions relying on yes/no answers only then moving swiftly on to the next question before I had time to try to explain my answer in more detail. In all three it was pretty obvious that they all doubted the claim I had made from the start.
    I do agree that there are good, bad and indifferent assessors, it just seems to be the case that I was allocated the 'bad' ones.
    As a matter of interest how on earth did you manage to get her to accept that a 10 year award was the most suitable?

She was asking the questions in front of her on her laptop, at no point did she rush me into yes/no answers, and was not at any time told that this was what was expected. You say you have had 3 assessments, is that in PIP assessments, because PIP hasn't been rolled out that long?
    As a matter of interest how on earth did you manage to get her to accept that a 10 year award was the most suitable?
    What on earth do you mean when you ask what I managed to do to get her to accept that a 10 year award was most suitable?! I did not ask her about what she was writing in her report, nor whether she thought I would get awarded PIP in any form, and I certainly did not ask that if I was awarded for how long!

I have never asked any assessor, even with DLA in the past what they thought, wrote, nor if they were going to award me with anything. This is not what you do in these circumstances - in my opinion.

If I have disagreed (in the past) with their decision, I have written to them noting what I have disagreed with and why.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OH will never improve but was only given 3yr award
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    OH will never improve but was only given 3yr award

Likewise and for very good reasons. My GP was amazed when I told him of the results that the DWP are of the opinion that I should recover enough after 2 years to not have any difficulties. I grow two new legs, get a spine transplant along with a new brain never mind the mess my insides are in. I too have only ever been awarded PIP for 3 years - well actually 2 years as I was assessed a year early each time. To be honest I no longer care what length of award is eventually given, I worry more about disproving the assessors opinion.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    She was asking the questions in front of her on her laptop, at no point did she rush me into yes/no answers, and was not at any time told that this was what was expected. You say you have had 3 assessments, is that in PIP assessments, because PIP hasn't been rolled out that long?
    What on earth do you mean when you ask what I managed to do to get her to accept that a 10 year award was most suitable?! I did not ask her about what she was writing in her report, nor whether she thought I would get awarded PIP in any form, and I certainly did not ask that if I was awarded for how long!

I have never asked any assessor, even with DLA in the past what they thought, wrote, nor if they were going to award me with anything. This is not what you do in these circumstances - in my opinion.

If I have disagreed (in the past) with their decision, I have written to them noting what I have disagreed with and why.

As I have said you were extremely fortunate to get one of the good assessors.
    With my assessments they have all been rushed through giving me no time to interrupt them to qualify or add to the yes/no answer that the question demanded.
    Yes 3 assessments. I was 65 in May 2013 and I had to transfer from DLA (High Mobility & Care) to PIP later on in the year. Again in late 2015 I had to re-apply and had my second assessment. Then in late 2017 I had to apply for a review and had my third assessment a few months ago. The results of the first two on MR application/submission of the appeal notice/letter of complaint were that I went from basically nothing to enhanced for both elements. This third assessment has also seen the removal of the award again and I am now back to 0 awaiting the outcome of the latest MR application.
    I was only interested in how you managed to get a 10 year award when most only get 1/2/3 year ones that I read about including myself.
    Ah well it's all fun and games again with having to get my GP to reconfirm a 3 page letter/report he wrote over 2 years ago (2015 - The DWP state on their documentation that anything over 2 years old is not acceptable). My GP really loves me - not!
  • Stevietee
    Stevietee Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    My wife was sent a home appointment when she had not requested one and when she asked to change it they were delighted. The actual process should be exactly the same but she did not want the intrusion. Her assessment took nearly 2 hours, don't know if that is normal. Good luck.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I had the assessment today, took nearly two hours but to be fair a lot of that was me rambling on. The lady was lovely, I'm not a fool I know that means nothing. I went through each of the questions with them. I did offer to walk so she could watch but she didn't want me to. Who knows what that means huh? Find out in about 4 weeks apparently.

Interestingly I did feel as though I was being judged for going back to work. So far I have done 3 days in two weeks on a phased return and been sent home early on one of those days. I am currently taking the bus which is a nightmare (two hours to do a 30 minute journey, then a walk which takes me 30 minutes as no taxi will do the short distance) as awaiting a driving assessment with DVLA and knackered before I even get there. Only doing light office tasks and only because had no wages for 3 months. Surely PIP is to assist you getting back to work?? I honestly felt I would have had more chance with points had I given up my job and sat on my !!!! feeling sorry for myself.

Sorry for the rant, bit sensitive about this at the moment. Thanks again for everyone's advice
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked into the Access to Work scheme? It's not just about physical access, they might be able to help with taxis from home, or any adaptations at work.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well I had the assessment today, took nearly two hours but to be fair a lot of that was me rambling on. The lady was lovely, I'm not a fool I know that means nothing. I went through each of the questions with them. I did offer to walk so she could watch but she didn't want me to. Who knows what that means huh? Find out in about 4 weeks apparently.

Interestingly I did feel as though I was being judged for going back to work. So far I have done 3 days in two weeks on a phased return and been sent home early on one of those days. I am currently taking the bus which is a nightmare (two hours to do a 30 minute journey, then a walk which takes me 30 minutes as no taxi will do the short distance) as awaiting a driving assessment with DVLA and knackered before I even get there. Only doing light office tasks and only because had no wages for 3 months. Surely PIP is to assist you getting back to work?? I honestly felt I would have had more chance with points had I given up my job and sat on my !!!! feeling sorry for myself.

Sorry for the rant, bit sensitive about this at the moment. Thanks again for everyone's advice
    You can ring DWP in a few days time to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as mostly they go with that report. It's also a good thing to have if the decision doesn't go in your favour, it's handy for the Mandatory Reconsideration.

Decision times vary wildly across the country and it really depends on backlog in your area. Some wait a couple of weeks while others wait 8 or more weeks. There really isn't any timescales. A lot of HCP's will tell people 4 weeks but they really have no idea, the same as anyone else.

Good luck.
  • diggingdude
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Have you looked into the Access to Work scheme? It's not just about physical access, they might be able to help with taxis from home, or any adaptations at work.

Funnily enough I have encouraged others to use it in the past but never myself as my condition is only 6 months old and I have been off until 2 weeks ago. So long as I am assessed to drive ok, I am guessing left foot controls, then I will buy a car and will solve some of the issues. I am a social worker so being in the community is a big part of my role. In all honesty I am embarrassed to be claiming PIP, at this stage its not about the money, but I am struggling to see how I will maintain the hours involved these days with work and need the PIP as a support mechanism. Of course a 2 and a half month wait for an occy health assessment at work isn't helping things :)
  • diggingdude
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You can ring DWP in a few days time to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as mostly they go with that report. It's also a good thing to have if the decision doesn't go in your favour, it's handy for the Mandatory Reconsideration.

Decision times vary wildly across the country and it really depends on backlog in your area. Some wait a couple of weeks while others wait 8 or more weeks. There really isn't any timescales. A lot of HCP's will tell people 4 weeks but they really have no idea, the same as anyone else.

Good luck.
    Yes figured I would give them a ring some time next week. It was an 11 week wait from application to assessment so I imagine we are not doing too bad in this part of the world
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure