Paying for a new car

Options
2»

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Why do you need a £30k car?
    That's not relevant. The original question was not about what to buy or how much to spend, it was about the most efficient way to finance an already decided purchase.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    That's not relevant. The original question was not about what to buy or how much to spend, it was about the most efficient way to finance an already decided purchase.

Its even more relevant than the original question.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Its even more relevant than the original question.
    No it isn't. It does not matter why they feel they need to spend £30k on a car, it's none of your business and if you knew, it wouldn't help you answer the question they asked.

Since you don't need to know, you're either being nosy or judgmental.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    If you can get good discounts/incentives for using the dealer finance but can get a better APR for a loan elsewhere, then it may be worth taking the finance then cancelling it and paying it off with the loan.
    Agree with the above, with one exception, you want to settle the dealer finance, not cancel it. If you tell them you want to cancel it you run the risk of them reclaiming any incentives. By settling the finance you do not run the risk of having to repay the incentives from the dealer.

At least this is what I have been advised :money:
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2018 at 12:21AM
    Options
    ... At least this is what I have been advised :money:
    OP would have 14 days cooling off period to CANCEL the PCP agreement without losing any incentive. Been there done that.

However, OP could not arrange two lots of finance using the car as collateral. If he does not have or cannot raise sufficient funds to redeem the PCP he will not be able to do that.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    No it isn't. It does not matter why they feel they need to spend £30k on a car, it's none of your business and if you knew, it wouldn't help you answer the question they asked.

Since you don't need to know, you're either being nosy or judgmental.

Of course its more relevant, burying your head in the sand to think otherwise.

And fyi when posting information about yourself on a web forum, it becomes other peoples business by default.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some interesting replies there, thanks guys. I wasn't thinking PCP to be honest, I want the car paid in full by the time the finance/loan finishes. Planning on keeping it for a fair while.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    What is bets to fund this...HP (dealer finance) or a bank loan? Is it as simple as going for the lowest interest rate?

You let some other guy buy the car brand new on PCP, service and maintain it for 3 years and pay for the depreciation, then you buy it out-right for £10k in year 3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure