Can I get a credit card?

martinajane12
martinajane12 Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 October 2019 at 10:53AM in Credit cards
Your eligibility checker says I've got 0% chance of recieving any credit cards listed after using your online tool. What can I do?

After reading your page on best credit cards for poor score, I cannot decide which credit card to try. Perhaps you'd be happy to advise which out of those on that page?

I don't need to be lent money and have thousands is savings but want to pay everything on credit card because it's safer. For example, with what has happened with Thomas Cook and getting money back, if if I wanted my money back on a faulty item, paying by credit card sees this more likely.

I am unemployed and disabled. The income I get is ESA and PIP. I live alone in social housing. I have not had a credit card for at least 1/ years, and only had one, but don't remember the name, however I didn't use it much and after a few months got rid of it. I'm on the electrol role. I moved in 4 months ago - does this also affect my check as it's so recent? Prior to this I lived in social housing for 2 years. I have never been in debt and always paid every rent bills on time. However the last few years I've not paid rent as housing benefit covers it. So, currently in your tool I have put £0 in rent, assuming this is right.

I don't want to "just" apply for the ones listed on your site page for poor credit options because if I am rejected my credit score gets hit again, I am to believe from reading your site. i really needed some company to show a reasonable percentage chance in your eligibility checker.

Am I absolutely doomed to not get a credit card? Ironically though I have little to no credit history, I am the best candidate as I have plenty of money and would pay it off straight away in full by automatic bank debit card.
Is it the case that because I'm unemployed and never going to be able to work the rest of my life, that I am not ever going to be accepted? Great, another let down in life because of being disabled.

Comments

• Try one of the sub prime cards.

It's just a search, even if you're declined. Any 'hit' on your pretend credit score is irrelevant.

If declined twice, leave it a couple of months before applying again.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 October 2019 at 1:27PM
    You definitely can get a sub-prime card whilst only having ESA and PIP as income. I have a number of clients, who also reside in social housing, with the same income as you and in possession of credit cards. Try the eligibility checkers for CapitalOne, Aqua or Vanquis. :)

You say you have only recently moved. Have you contacted the council to put your name on the Electoral Register (ER)? Until your ER is updated to your current address you will probably not be eligible for a card. Your will need to check your three credit files to confirm whether your ER has been updated.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • CollinT
    CollinT Posts: 32 Forumite
    Have you thought of asking at the bank where your ESA/PIP is paid into if you can have one of their credit cards?

They will know your financial history and it may have a lot lower APR than a sub-prime card, albeit it may only have a low credit limit.

I know a disabled friend on DLA got one from Natwest where he banks. It is about 19% APR but with only a £500 credit limit to start with.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't need to be lent money and have thousands is savings but want to pay everything on credit card because it's safer. For example, with what has happened with Thomas Cook and getting money back, if if I wanted my money back on a faulty item, paying by credit card sees this more likely.
    While credit cards do offer section 75 protection for most direct purchases over £100, there is also chargeback that's available for debit (as well as credit) card purchases - there are differences between the schemes but it's not as black and white as credit cards give protection and debit cards don't....
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 10 October 2019 at 6:03PM
    Congratulations at having thousands in savings. I hope it is invested somewhere where it is earning you a good rate of interest.
    From the information provided it is not readily apparent why you are getting a 0% chance response when using eligability checkers for credit builder credit cards. There wa a similar thread the other day from somebody saying the same thing, that they were getting this 0% reponse again without any readily apparent reason from the information that they had given.
    You also appear to have picked up on this 'If I get rejected my credit score gets hit' concept which is not strictly true. A single hard search will NOT affect your (meaningless) credit score in any way and declined applications do not show on your credit files. I am curious as to where you check your credit files/score, what the score is (it is meaningless in itself but knowing the number may assist in guessing what could be wrong) and if any really detrimental information such as ccj(s) or default(s) are showing. Do you actually have any credit agreements such as mobile phone, utilities etc? Does your bank account appear on your credit files? A 0% chance is a very definite NO and this should not be happening over all credit builder cards without a very good reason.
    Which credit card would you like to obtain? I don't want to give the impression that I am promoting a specific card by making a specific recommendation, but avoid fee charging cards such as 118118 money.
  • I’m assuming your “thousands in savings” is declared to the relevant bodies paying your ESA and PIP?
  • !!! wrote: »
    I’m assuming your “thousands in savings” is declared to the relevant bodies paying your ESA and PIP?
    PIP is tax-free and paid to an individual, regardless of their income or savings. I believe ESA is reduced once the claimants savings reach £6,000, and the reductions continue on a sliding scale of entitlement until savings reach £16,000. (Basically, the first £6,000 savings is ignored. The rest is treated as if it gives you a monthly income of £4.35 for each £250, or part of £250).
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 October 2019 at 10:25PM
    Also it depends whether the ESA is income or contributions based. If contributions based it is not means tested and not affected by savings. And given that David Cameron legally claimed DLA (the forerunner to PIP and still payable in child claims) for his late disabled son do you seriously think it’s means tested *roll eyes smiley needed*
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • eskbanker wrote: »
    While credit cards do offer section 75 protection for most direct purchases over £100, there is also chargeback that's available for debit (as well as credit) card purchases - there are differences between the schemes but it's not as black and white as credit cards give protection and debit cards don't....

Only post that answers the question
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport