* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Jewels1207
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've bought all my nieces and nephews gifts now and have got the majority of things in for my 2 DSs.
    Now starting on the adults presents and am doing couples hampers with useful things rather than just buy meaningless presents. So was thinking jammies, blanket/throw, nice biscuits, chocs, wax melts. I was at a shopping centre yesterday and they had novelty coasters which I got for them all. They had peaky blinders which my dad loves, game of thrones which my mum loves and Disney ones which I got for some of the girls. They also had Del Boy and Rodney ones (we call my BIL Rodney because he's so tall and skinny) so I got him that one and got my FIL Mrs Brown's boys lol.
    I'm looking for ideas of what else I could add to the hampers?
    I'm going to add beauty bits for the ladies, like face masks, bath bombs etc. Any ideas where's best to get these kind of thing? Had a wee look in Primark yesterday and didn't really see anything.
    Any couples hampers suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks x
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Not a lot of progress for me but I have had my tesco delivery so now have a pack of nibbles, some more chocolate coins and a packet of cookies for my food stash.

Eldest's birthday at the end of the month and I've got him three things of the 5 of my list. Once he's done I'll be able to focus on Christmas :D
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Things are a movin' here now! Thanks for suggestions for winter hampers, was going to buy baskets to put them in, but think I will just buy some bags.

Some of family in Egypt are emigrating to Canada, I have known for a while, but their parents hadn't been told. They are now in a panic as it will be a tad cold when they get there in Feb, not used to that! I won £120 on lottery last night, so will use that to get stuff for them, not going to get expensive but enough to ensure they are not too cold and they can then decide what they need once they become aclimatised to the change in weather and have settled in. Not been to Canada for years, so guess where I am going next year!

Have got my Christmas cards, will try & get them written up this weekend, that will be another job out of the way. This year will be the latest I have ever gone home, can't get off work until the Monday evening as there will be no one in the office, can't say I relish getting home on Christmas Eve afternoon/evening and hoping like hell there won't be weather issues which would cancel my sailing.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. One is an IPhone and the other a Huwai. One for a friend and other for my Grandad. I just hope they don’t put them back up to full price just before Christmas :)

I am struggling for ideas for my Grandma. She is housebound, not mobile etc & very poorly. She can’t ‘do’ anything, which limits me massively. She can’t eat so can’t go down the treat foods route. Can’t focus on reading so no books, has all the things that she needs...I am stumped. I am really against buying for the sake of buying, but she’s very important to me so I’ll need to think of something.
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Just had a brainwave and ordered a personalised tree ornament for our friends who moved into their new home earlier this year. I had been struggling with what to get them and this is lovely and only cost me £8 so bargain too.....hopefully it'll go down well, alongside the obligatory box of chocolates I always get them! :D I had a budget of £15 for them so I'm pleased with that!
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • aimeemum
    Options
    Beshki wrote: »
    Thanks. One is an IPhone and the other a Huwai. One for a friend and other for my Grandad. I just hope they don’t put them back up to full price just before Christmas :)

I am struggling for ideas for my Grandma. She is housebound, not mobile etc & very poorly. She can’t ‘do’ anything, which limits me massively. She can’t eat so can’t go down the treat foods route. Can’t focus on reading so no books, has all the things that she needs...I am stumped. I am really against buying for the sake of buying, but she’s very important to me so I’ll need to think of something.

My Dad was like this towards the end of his life and I know how difficult it can be. Does she have anything to watch movies on? Maybe some classic movies on DVD? Or what about some books on tape/CD and a little player? A blanket or some slippers to keep her warm in the winter? Something pretty for her room like a picture, cushion or rug? Do you have a picture of the family you could frame for her? I was told to encourage my Dad to drink so what about a tea selection? Or a mug?
    Current Progress -
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Heroes bought today and some turkey stuffing crisps from Tesco will be stored away in Christmas cupboard later on. Thermals bought as I’m feeling the cold, went for men’s ones in the end as the ladies ones weren’t long enough and they were cheaper too.

Hope everyone is ok x
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If anyone needs clothes from George at Asda there is currently 25% off instore only until the 21st. Only found out when I took a tshirt to the till. Didn't see any obvious signage
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    sorry for long absence. hope all is going well for Christmas with you all. Havent read back yet, but will try to do so this weekend when things may be a little quieter.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I too am off the mark. Spent £23 on 3 different ornaments that my mum commented on the last time she was down, so I know she'll love them.

Stokie - Well spotted with the discount at George, too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure