Options
2»

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Robsta1973 wrote: »
    I suppose from seeing all the people stood waiting at Northern Rock the last time.

As Dunstonh suggests, what happened to Northern Rock should give you extreme peace of mind, given that not a single depositor in Northern Rock lost any money.
    I wasn't sure if buying a house would just set me up to fail should a financial crisis start sooner than later.

I can't see how. Presumably you are planning on living in it?

The reason people are being glib and talking about baked beans and shotguns is because your post conflates two completely different scenarios: an economic collapse (which is what happened in Venezuela and Zimbabwe and is exceptionally rare) or an economic crash (which is a normal part of the economic cycle, and happens at irregular intervals - the last being in 2008 - without necessarily causing any lasting ill effects to individuals).

You seem to want to know about a crash but you can't blame people for talking about what to do to protect yourself against a collapse when the thread title is "Preparing for an economic collapse".
  • Robsta1973
    Robsta1973 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wasn’t trying to feel sorry for myself or trying to make other people look worse I am not that type of person. I don’t understand enough about investments etc so thought I would ask the opinion or advice of people on here because I thought it was a Forum to ask questions.
    Rob
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I wasn’t trying to feel sorry for myself or trying to make other people look worse I am not that type of person. I don’t understand enough about investments etc so thought I would ask the opinion or advice of people on here because I thought it was a Forum to ask questions.
    Rob

A few personal/financial details may help with guidance. Goals, risk tolerance etc. Roof over your head is probably first place to start.
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Buy baked beans, bottled water and a shotgun.

can you eat gold?

What, no ammo?
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What, no ammo?

Typical split is food, fuel and ammo in equal proportions. However this is based on US philosophy.

Considering the chap in charge, probably sound advice.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd have thought that you can do a few things that would defend you from two sorts of calamities, namely (i) disruption of supply chains, (ii) inflation of, say, 1970s level.

A stock of tinned food, bog rolls, and kitchen foil might be wise. Buy a camping stove and plenty of bottled gas for it. And keep your mouth shut on the topic lest someone else fancies relieving you of your possessions.

For soaring inflation there may be a case for keeping some gold sovereigns and some low-carat, second-hand, gold jewellery.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    NR caused its own failure but the media created the hysteria and the lemmings queued up. Even after the Govt said deposits would be protected.

I didn't have a Northern Rock account but somehow it felt like I was missing out by not queuing. I enjoy good run on a bank. Seen too many repeats of Mary Poppins in my childhood :)
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have About £23000 in savings which is the deposit for a mortgage. I was wondering whether I would be better keeping the money in cash,
    Rob
    Actually, although £23k may seem a lt and probably took a long time to accumulate, it's not that much really.
    If there is no crash and things remain the same in five years your £23k will only have buying power of £19.75k.

Each year you lose £700+ so work on that.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £23k is well within the 'safe' amount to have with a single institution (currently £85k I think), so as said above you wouldn't lose out because provided you bank is registered under that EU-wide scheme you would get the money back (possibly after a bit of a wait) in full.
    You time-scale of around 1 year means investments are not a good idea, as there could have been a bit of a dip just when you want to use the money (markets are always having 'a bit of a dip', and sometimes 'a bit of a rise', and occasionally a big jump either way).
    Gold (coins / bars) is a very poor investment on the whole because you pay more than the actual value of the metal to get it, and in a short time probably wouldn't get it back.
    Keep to things like UK banks, building societies or NS&I and although you may not get much interest (but try looking at interest paying current accounts or regular savers) for one year you should be able to sleep OK because 3% inflation wouldn't really have much time to affect the buying power of what you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure