NHS Pre-Payment Card Didn't Renew - Advice?

Options
Hi All

Just after some advice. I had an NHS pre-payment card up until April 2016, and I thought it had auto-renewed like the year before. I have a lot of direct debits set up so just presumed it had been coming out of my account.

I phoned up the NHS pre-payment card line and asked to cancel my card as I only get one prescription every other month now. They advised that I don't have one set up, and were "concerned" about what I had been doing up until now. I've been ticking to say that I have a card...they put me on hold but I had to cut the call short as was only on a work break. I phoned them back after work to explain the situation, and asked what I should do. The person said that there wasn't really anything they can do. I offered to backdate the card and pay the cost, but they only let you backdate 1 month, which I've done.

I'm now very worried that I'm going to get a very very large fine.

Any advice would be great. Thanks :)

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 11 June 2017 at 2:13PM
    Options
    The fine(s) would be justified, you didn't have a current PPC.

The fine(s)would be calculated for each prescription you claimed entitlement on that is "caught". Prescription cost + up to £100 penalty.

It is your responsibility to check, did you not notice no DD coming out of the account in over a year? That the card you had was expired/you didn't get a new one in the post?

Afraid my advice is to pay any fines, and hope not every prescription you claimed for is caught.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    solchain wrote: »
    I am amazed people bother people posting on this site when they get replies like that from vvvvvvvvvvvvv - don't bother replying I wont read it nor will I reply.

It even says against the OP that they are a new user and to give them a chance.

You must have read the post to be able to comment on it.

However, VVVVV was only commenting on the (unfair) fact that prescriptions are free in Scotland.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You must have read the post to be able to comment on it.

However, VVVVV was only commenting on the (unfair) fact that prescriptions are free in Scotland.

I read it as a comment on the disparity too.

I pay my PPC via d/d too. I also have to either produce the card or remind them of my expiry date every time I pick up a prescription. When mine renewed I got a letter telling me auto renew and then the card after the first payment taken
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure