Power of Attorney - what happens next

Options
2»

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it really is a EPA then,assuming the donor still has the mental capacity, best to start again with an LPA. Not all financial organisations are happy to accept an unregistered EPA and it can't be registered until the donor has lost capacity.
    I never had any trouble using one; I'm not even sure they have a choice.
  • simonineaston
    Options
    I've had LPA for dad for a few years and I have to say that differetn agencies have reacted in differetn ways, varying from "Wassat?! - never 'eard of it!!" to "We know exactly what you mean, becasue we deal it with it all the time." Banks obviously are most familiar with the concept, but even they vary... dad's local NW branch had me produce the paper-work several times, having misplaced their copies, whereas BArclays slipped into a well-oiled procedure as soon as I mentioned the words power of attorney. You will get used to carrying around with you everything you need to prove a) that you have PoA and b) you are who you say you are - and quite right too!
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a little heads up for you

I had to register my Mothers LPA with Santander which all went quite easily but when i had to ring them up to discuss some of my Moms affairs they told me they could see i was registered for online banking and in-branch transactions i was never registered to the telephone banking so i had to make another appointment to go inside the branch to set this all up.
    Why would i not be registered for telephone banking????

Commonsense isnt very common in some of these companies!!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had LPA for dad for a few years and I have to say that differetn agencies have reacted in differetn ways, varying from "Wassat?! - never 'eard of it!!" to "We know exactly what you mean, becasue we deal it with it all the time."
    3card wrote: »
    Commonsense isnt very common in some of these companies!!
    It's not always the banks or agencies that vary, just the staff you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to encounter. Some don't have the nous to refer it up the line to someone who does know. I often find myself disappointed with the knowledge of their own products possessed by the average bank cashier (no offence to any particular ones who may be reading!). I have occasionally had to ring their head office's PoA department (they usually have one, or something that passes for one) to get things sorted out.
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks everyone, really helpful advice. It is an old EPA.

DS
  • simonineaston
    Options
    I did that too - in some ways, in spite of the obvious security processes, online accounts are quite easy to fool into thinking you're someone else, so long as you have (legitimate) access to all the elements that you'll need to authenticate, ie the email address/es and the phone numbers. Ditto bank accounts...
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I did that too - in some ways, in spite of the obvious security processes, online accounts are quite easy to fool into thinking you're someone else, so long as you have (legitimate) access to all the elements that you'll need to authenticate, ie the email address/es and the phone numbers. Ditto bank accounts...

You did what too?
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You did what too?

I think he means he did something similar to what you called my "dodgy setup".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure