"Pay In At Any Bank"

Options
I've just had a new paying-in book from Lloyds Bank, and it says on the inside:

"You are welcome to pay money into your account at any branch of any bank in the UK"

So... is this just a Lloyds thing? Or is this the same for any bank that issues "Bank Giro Credit" books?

Surely, say, HSBC or Barclays wouldn't be too happy if I used their branches to pay into a Lloyds account? And would this mean that I could use, say, Lloyds branches to pay into a Tesco Bank account?

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Once upon a time you could actually do this with no problems.
    These days if the other bank actually accepts to do this for you they will charge you.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure about Lloyds but with HSBC I can pay in to any post office with no charges and money appears instantly on my account.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think Lloyds are presuming an awful lot of altruistic goodwill on the part of their competitors and are setting up their customers for frustration and disappointment.

Yes, it's possible to pay any credit in at any bank (imagine the hassle paying bills with giro slips if this wasn't the case) but why on Earth should a bank consent to use its facilities and manpower for the benefit of non-customers?
    : )
  • cheesetoast
    Options
    I think Lloyds are presuming an awful lot of altruistic goodwill on the part of their competitors and are setting up their customers for frustration and disappointment.
    This is exactly what I was wondering ;)
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    If a bank is in the BGC system they have to accept the payment.

But they can charge for it.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

But they can charge for it.

I think they will only accept cash from you these days.

Nearly 30 years ago I used to cash cheques for a friend. These were Bank of Scotland cheques and I paid them into my Royal Bank of Scotland account at a Midland Bank branch (now HSBC), because it was the nearest branch to me. These cheques were always covered by my friend's cheque guarantee card number. Now that cheque guarantee cards no longer exist, I suspect banks won't allow you to pay cheques into other banks because there's no guarantee the cheques will be paid and it would cause too many complications if they bounced.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

They don't have to if they don't want to. I wasn't aware there was any requirement for all members of the BGC system to accept anyone's credits for any reason.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the days before I paid my utility bills by direct debit, I used to pay with a paying in slip at the bank. The utility company had an arrangement with one bank where payments were collected free of charge. I presumed that the utility company picked up the fee, as if I chose to use a different bank, other than one with which I had an account, I would have had to pay for the service.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    they will accept it but they will definitely charge you

They won't necessarily.

If it's part of the same group e.g. NatWest / RBS or if you are also a customer of the bank in question, they will usually waive the transaction fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure