Can Halifax do this?

Options

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Best bet is to phone them and ask them to re-assign the money, they may do it, they may not.

They did a similar thing to me, I had a money transfer and a balance transfer, different lengths. They put the money towards the money transfer even though it expired a year later than the balance transfer. I phoned them up and got them to reassign payments to the transfer that expired first and not the one that had the highest rate after the 0% finished.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Abbey1991 wrote: »
    I agree that for someone savvy and in the industry, the whole paragraph makes sense and is clear.

However this sentence needs to be re-worded, and I reckon the Ombudsman would agree:
    any overdue amounts from previous statements;then
    · the remaining balance on your statement;then
    · any recent transactions not yet shown on your statement.

Is very clear. It is also industry standard.
    FCA I doubt would be interested.
    The whole point of a credit card is the interest free period. If someone wants to pay it early, then they need to check or ask. When they have any sort of outstanding balance.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    Is very clear.
    Well there are two people just on this thread who say they misunderstood it, so perhaps not so clear.

The other thing is that monthly statements have less relevance now, if they are just a pdf, as people tend to just look at transaction history online, so the concept of a "statemented balance" may be a bit obscure to some people.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 January 2020 at 6:28PM
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    If you use your card for a balance transfer. Then use it for ANY PURCHASES. DO NOT pay anything till you receive a statement or any payments go towards the pre statement balance.

You could try ringing Halifax and see if they as a good will gesture adjust the payment to the purchase and not the balance transfer.
    If you explain that you were not aware this would happen and now understand it was your fault in being to hasty to ensure that you did not incur any interest on your flight tickets.

Good advice from Born Again and Sharon87,
    I got a C/C from BoS (Halifax) with so many months 0% balance transfer and
    9 months purchases 0%.

I thought that meant anything I bought in the 9 months was added to the 0% balance transfer, but
    No - it meant I had to pay off the purchases in 9 months or start paying interest on the purchases.

As soon as I found out about this, (through my statement, with interest added) I phoned them, and
    they let me pay my purchases (luckily not a lot) removed the interest charged and would not add any
    more interest.

I would just phone them and explain, I'm sure they will work something out for you, especially if you
    explain the misunderstanding. Good Luck.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The other thing is that monthly statements have less relevance now, if they are just a pdf, as people tend to just look at transaction history online, so the concept of a "statemented balance" may be a bit obscure to some people.

The statement is very relevant, even if that fact doesn't suit your argument. It tells you the amount you need to pay (whether minimum or full) and by when, or if you have a D/D setup how much will be taken and when.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    Options
    Well there are two people just on this thread who say they misunderstood it, so perhaps not so clear.

Perhaps people need to look at T/C rather than just ticking the box stating I've read it. As I also said. If OP calls Halifax and explains the situation they may adjust the payments as a good will gesture.

WHAT :mad:

You should always check both transactions and statements. Quite often IMPORTANT ACCOUNT INFORMATION is included on the statement...:T
    Life in the slow lane
  • Stenwold
    Stenwold Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    However this sentence needs to be re-worded, and I reckon the Ombudsman would agree:

I bet they wouldn't.

The fact is it is stated in the T&C's (and pretty clear, in my opinion). That is enough to satisfy FOS, the FCA and any customer who actually reads them.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

First you allege that something is tricky to understand.

Then you suggest the customer isn't obliged or likely to have read it anyway.

I don't think someone would be wise to test such advice by using it in a case at the Ombudsman.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I would suspect these are the same people who do not know that if they miss a payment then the introductory rate disappears.

I think folk read and hear only what they want to, I do not know how many times Martin Lewis has said never spend on an introductory BT or MT balance.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I do empathise a bit with the OP - credit cards can be complex in that you have transactions, statements on statement dates, purchases after a statement date (recent transactions) and different parts of the debt being charged at different rates.

You won't go far wrong if you remember that anything you pay off always goes to the balance on your last month's statement. Only once that balance is paid off in full will any further payments go to recent transactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure