PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    Following on from small animals wasting food comments, mine are fussy too and I wish I could buy a mix to suit.

I clean them out each week but the night before I only give them the fresh greens, I don't give then any more dried food. This way they have a good rummage round the dish and eat the spilt bits and there is no way they will starve.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too add a teaspoon of dry mustard powder to cheese sauces. I like to use Mature Cheddar which has a real "bite" to it, but it's more expensive than the mild versions so putting mustard into the sauce spices it up and means you can get away with using far less grated cheese.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Save water.... bath with a friend!

Mr LW and I always share the bath; I like to have a hot bath in the mornings as it helps my joints get moving. Mr LW has to be there with me as I need help getting in and out of the bath, so it makes sense to share. You need less water that way as well, as two bodies displace more water than one.

And apart from that, it's more fun.....:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    LameWolf - I do that with the kids. I have 2 girls aged 6 and almost 4 and its the easiest way to get them both clean at the same time.

It saves time and water! And I have sometimes been known to jump into the bath with them
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • keld
    keld Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Earlier in this thread there were mentions of using a foaming hand soap dispenser. Where can I get one?

I too always use mature cheddar and mustard in the cheese sauce.
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

• consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    keld wrote: »
    Earlier in this thread there were mentions of using a foaming hand soap dispenser. Where can I get one?

There are a couple of foaming hand soap dispensers on the market, aimed at children in bright bottles. However, the labels do peel off so they don't look too bad, unless you're one of those people who like everything to match (in which case your bathroom will have to be purple or orange, lol)
    They are Kandoo and Johnsons Junior.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • kayjay1809
    kayjay1809 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    looby-loo wrote: »
    Following on from small animals wasting food comments, mine are fussy too and I wish I could buy a mix to suit.

I clean them out each week but the night before I only give them the fresh greens, I don't give then any more dried food. This way they have a good rummage round the dish and eat the spilt bits and there is no way they will starve.

Try weaning them off a mix onto pellets, if they are bunnies or guineapigs. No waste whatsoever :rotfl:
    2018 - The Year I Will Declutter!
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    looby-loo wrote: »

As a lifelong rabbit keeper (until recently, unfortunately) I used to -
    dry off bread crusts in oven until hard (this helps keep their teeth trimmed) - you can do it in a cooling oven. Free greens to feed - chickweed, dandelion leaves and dockleaves. I also had a grassy run for them (this incidentally is to become my new veg patch) - and don't forget you can compost all their sawdust etc as they are vegetarians.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    You can save money and calories by using extra sharp cheddar cheese when a recipe calls for cheddar. Because the cheese's flavor is strong, you don't need as much of it! It's win win! ;-)

Anybody have any other ideas for cutting down on the cost of food?

My white sauce for lasagne is made from natural yoghurt mixed with cornflour and a pinch of salt. You get the bite of the yoghurt and only need to put grated cheese on the top layer to brown.
  • dollydaydream07
    Options
    we always have a roast on a sunday and its always chicken as i can make a chicken go a lot further than any other meat(and its the only meat our DD will eat) but to make it go even further i have now started to cook a few sausages along with it so that we can have less chicken but still get a nice filling roast
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure