Help disabled energy

Options
Having trouble with boost energy. Inherited supply when I brought house has prepayment meters. Asked to change to normal.meters because need constant supply and can't reach prepayment meters. First they said I had to pay then j reminded disability act and they agreed I didn't need to pay for moving meter to are from wheelchair. Then they told.me I had to get smart meter cause that's all they had . when I refused smart meter they said they didn't have any others so I would have to buy my own. I did this now.they refuse to install. Checked gas.and electric.act and it is legal to own my own meter but they are.not coming to remove their fixtures to allow my engineer to install mine. Need advice. It's been almost 2 montha and I can't move into my home without supply. Can my engineer remove their fixtures and install.my new meters which are on approved meters gov legislation. I have tried moving supplier and that is another 3 weeks minimum and I have a home I can't move into. I am on priority list but that means nothing. So now would like to know can k inform new supplier that I intend.to install.meters . what is legal process installing own purchased meters gas and electric. Need help already expires citizen advice and need.to wait 2/more weeks for ombudsman and Ofgem limited . need.clear Info j can check on legal process installing own meter which I've gone and purchased.

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2019 at 12:17AM
    Options
    I doubt very much that you should have to pay for a meter. Nor should you be forced to have a smart meter, Ofgem has ruled otherwise.

Phone Citizen's Advice and / or Ovo's CEO. You can find his info at the ceoemail website (dot com).

Mention the Equality 2010 Act and threaten to go to the press, BBC R4's You and Yours, Moneybox etc.

Make sure you're on the Priority Services Register.

You can also go to the Energy Ombudsman but that will be quite slow, so best for getting refunds / compensation after the immediate problem has been resolved.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You will find with Boost that they cannot (or will not) move people over to credit meters.

If you already have smart meters, then just move away. When you leave Boost, they will set your meter to credit mode.

The irony is, they say they cannot move people to pay monthly, yet they can set their smart meters to credit mode,

https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/my-account-my-boost-24/can-i-switch-from-pre-payment-to-pay-monthly-227
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No your engineer can't remove their meter - he can't break the seals on it or the distribution companies main fuse.

It's a theory that you can use your own meter but it doesn't work in reality - how do you ensure its accuracy, how do you get it on the databases, what happens when you move out ?

I'm sure that you have had to accept several compromises due to your disability - this is just one more. Change suppliers and accept the smart meter.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If you were allowed to buy and fit your own meter, what is to stop you buying two? The implications for fraud are obvious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure