Needing advice on supplier switch please.

Options
Hello,
I currently rent a very small old one bedroom flat and having to pay 3 lots of standing charges.I am looking to change to either a supplier who will charge for 2 or possibly standing charge free.
I currently have my main meter for electricity.I am being charged for a second meter which is for storage heaters (Even though i only had them on for around 4 months of the past year i still get charged) and lastly a gas meter.The only gas used is the cooker hob so i use VERY little every month (76p worth last month :)) as i cook mostly by halogen oven.
Between the three i pay over £18 a month standing charges when i mostly only use one meter. I am with Bulb at the moment.
Because of the unusual 3 meter set up i don't think I'll get a proper comparison on some sites. Can anyone provide help as to which sites,companies etc which may help?
Thank you

Comments

• dunfiedoughball
    Options
    anyone? .....
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since no one else has added anything, in my limited knowledge of your set up, there's nothing you can do about having two standing charges for two electric meters, unless you can get advice from an electrician and/or your supplier about changing meters/wiring, but not sure if this would be possible with storage heaters.

For your gas supply, if you are such a low user if you could get the Ebico Zero Green Fixed, the price per kwh is high but no standing charge for gas. Not sure you can get this though because of your electric supply.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't read similar threads, but presumably there is nothing to stop you shopping around and getting quotations for a single rate supply, an E7 supply and gas. Of course, some gas suppliers will insist you take their electricity as well, but if a mix and match solution with up to three companies is cheaper then go for it.

The obvious solution would seem to be rewiring to have just an E7 meter but that would need your landlord's permission and for the costs to be agreed.

But if you use so little gas, why not just have it shut off?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2019 at 1:28AM
    Options
    You presume wrong, according to all the other threads on this topic

As I said "There is good reason comparison sites do not list the OP's current tariff to switch from.."
    OK, but would you like to provide links or share your pearls of wisdom with those like me who are obviously far less knowledgeable than your good self? dunce.gif
  • dunfiedoughball
    Options
    Well if that's your standard of reply then hurry up now and go back to lurking !😠

Thanks for your replies gerry1 👍
  • dunfiedoughball
    Options
    You presume wrong, according to all the other threads on this topic

As I said "There is good reason comparison sites do not list the OP's current tariff to switch from.."

Well if that's your standard of reply then hurry up now and go back to lurking !😠

• thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Please ignore the so called new user.

Your problem is that you have already switched to Bulb presumably to try to save money. Bulb being one of the new small suppliers will charge to change your meter set up, whereas the original supplier would have likely to have changed you to either E7 or a single rate meter for nothing.

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360015866092-What-should-I-do-if-I-have-an-unusual-electricity-meter-

Bulb will charge you £120 and you will possibly also have additional electricians charges.

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360025332131-What-does-it-mean-if-I-have-related-meters-

You could see if the original supplier will take you back and then get your complex meters changed by them at a later date.
  • dunfiedoughball
    Options
    thorganby wrote: »
    Please ignore the so called new user.

Your problem is that you have already switched to Bulb presumably to try to save money. Bulb being one of the new small suppliers will charge to change your meter set up, whereas the original supplier would have likely to have changed you to either E7 or a single rate meter for nothing.

Bulb will charge you £120 and you will possibly also have additional electricians charges.

You could see if the original supplier will take you back and then get your complex meters changed by them at a later date.

Thank you.
    I'll have a word with the landlord to see what we can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure