Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options
Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903 Forumite
First Post
edited 10 November 2010 at 12:42PM in Insurance & life assurance
This thread has now been closed; for the new thread, please go to the new Breakdown Cover Discussion

This discussion relates to the

Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

To discuss click reply

Comments

• ms_mark
    Options
    Excellent Experiences with Autoaid!
    My partner and I have each had to use Autoaid on separate occaisions. Calling and giving details was straightforward and we got through to a real person straight away with no holding. The claimback procedure is very straightforward, there are no complicated rules or exclusions and the chaeques arrived within a fortnight. Faultless!
  • preciousbabe
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I am definately with you on this one Matrin, I have been a member of Autoaid for 11 years now and I have never had a problem. They have always paid me out very quickly with no questions asked. I would definately recommend this, the only downside is that whilst most companies now accept co-habitating on par withbeing married, these don't, like you stated, you have to be legally married. Apart from that 10 out of 10 is what I say.:money: :T
  • dennyboy
    Options
    I'm afraid I disagree with Martin on this one, just got RAC cover for myself and the misus for £63.99. http://www.rac.co.uk/web/breakdowncover/uk/;jsessionid=1B3D2F7DEDEE98EF50B0232CBE3E3FB5
    However went through quidco and got £20 back, which makes it £43.99. This is Solution 2 with homestart the lot. You do have to setup a direct debit, just make sure you cancel on the 10th month (put it in your diary). Or if you only want a single policy £39.99 with £20 quidco back, works out £19.99 for homestart the lot.

This solution is much better than AutoID service where you have to pay out and then claim back it all the hassle which I really coudn't be bothered doing, its bad enough your car breaking down without having to claim.

Just my thoughts on this before you all rush to AutoID!
  • mattsmith1405
    Options
    Any ideas on cheapest single trip european cover. This was sort of mentioned in the article and Ifollowed the link to moneysupermarket.com but couldnt find it there.
    Cheers
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dennyboy wrote:
    I'm afraid I disagree with Martin on this one, just got RAC cover for myself and the misus for £63.99. http://www.rac.co.uk/web/breakdowncover/uk/;jsessionid=1B3D2F7DEDEE98EF50B0232CBE3E3FB5
    However went through quidco and got £20 back, which makes it £43.99. This is Solution 2 with homestart the lot. You do have to setup a direct debit, just make sure you cancel on the 10th month (put it in your diary). Or if you only want a single policy £39.99 with £20 quidco back, works out £19.99 for homestart the lot.

This solution is much better than AutoID service where you have to pay out and then claim back it all the hassle which I really coudn't be bothered doing, its bad enough your car breaking down without having to claim.

Just my thoughts on this before you all rush to AutoID!
    It's AutoAid, not AutoID.

The "hassle" of filling in one form and waiting a week or two for full reimbursement is not that great, and I think the other AutoAid customers on here would agree with that, compared with the "hassle" of having to take out cover for one year with RAC and then cancel and then start up some more cover ...

Horses for courses, I expect.
  • dennyboy
    Options
    It is my opinion MarkyMarkD, and I do think it is more "hassle" to reinburse than simply cancel a DD on my online banking, but as I say it is my own opinion. I really don't like the idea that you have to be armed with a credit card in the event of a breakdown.

I also find the other cluse AutoAid have unfair that states Home Assistance

" If the vehicle breaks down at your home or within one mile of your home, we will arrange help and reimburse any call-out fees and labour charges needed to start the vehicle. If the vehicle cannot be repaired quickly at the scene of the breakdown, we will reimburse the reasonable cost of taking the vehicle to the nearest available garage. The maximum reimbursement under this benefit ONLY is £45."
    which is most likely that if you go the local shops, break down and have to be towed back, I can't see any breakdown firm doing the tow for less than £90, Why have this clause!!! It must happen to people. Why not include it! Anyway that put me right off. Along with the claiming stuff back.

Other than that, I am sure AutoAid are fine and they are a good company to use from what you say.
  • FL
    FL Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was considering using the Tesco vouchers and looked at the options. Is it possible to have home start and recovery at the roadside with them using the voucher. If not can't see the point. I have been with Norwich Union for the last 3 years and they charge £65 for my husband and I to have a joint policy which covers just about everything but European travel.
  • kaw69kaw69
    Options
    ( I YES I ) am responsible for informing MSE about AutoAid some 11 years ago (my how time flies) and I am heartened to hear that there are so many people taking advantage of cheap breakdown cover , I have used them 3 times over the years and each time I can only say that the service was FAULTLESS from the local garage coming out( around 15 mins ) to claiming back the money. 1 invoice was for £185 for a long distance recovery, the garage sent me an invoice 2 days later by which time I had gathered the funds from my family to pay them. I faxed the claim form with the invoice and received a cheque within 24 hours GREAT SERVICE
  • Sam2007
    Sam2007 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, you get what you pay for, I wouldn't buy Tesco Value bread and neither would I buy cheapo cover from the likes of Autoaid etc. They have too many limitations and exclusions which no doubt will come to light when you need them most. I'd rather pay extra and have piece of mind which is surely why you have it in the first place?
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    kaw69kaw69 wrote:
    ( I YES I ) am responsible for informing MSE about AutoAid some 11 years ago (my how time flies) and I am heartened to hear that there are so many people taking advantage of cheap breakdown cover , I have used them 3 times over the years and each time I can only say that the service was FAULTLESS from the local garage coming out( around 15 mins ) to claiming back the money. 1 invoice was for £185 for a long distance recovery, the garage sent me an invoice 2 days later by which time I had gathered the funds from my family to pay them. I faxed the claim form with the invoice and received a cheque within 24 hours GREAT SERVICE

I have been with Autoaid for 3 years and used them for the first time on Sun 11/2/07 after I left my interior light on for 24 hours and ended up with a flat battery. I rang Autoaid and had a Green Flag truck at my h/a within 30 minutes. The bill was actually £49 due to it being Sunday but I received the invoice on Wednesday, sent the copy and claim form on Thursday and had a cheque for £45 on Monday. :beer:

Excellent service. The limitations on this cover (mainly no European cover) do suit me and OH at the moment and they are by far the cheapest for us as we have 3 vehicles between us and are guaranteed cover whichever we are driving:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure