Curry's & exchanging within the year.

Options
April 2018, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 from Curry's and until a few weeks ago, all was well.

Of late, for no reason (imo) at all, when surfing, it crashes. The screen goes black and I need to press the Home Button to bring it back to life.

I did a bit of googling and discovered this is not rare. Some say to do a "revert to factory settings" which I am happy to do. Others say, "put up with it".

Today, someone was telling me how they have returned items within a year and Curry's have exchanged without question.

The only thing is, I didn't take out an extended warranty etc. I'm telling myself that they should replace it. Or do you think they will want to keep it to try and see what the problem is?.

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Legally they have no obligation to do so. After 6 months from purchase the seller can require the consumer to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that the fault is inherent (present at the time of sale but not apparent) - this proof is usually obtained by commissioning an engineer report, the cost of which is refundable by the seller (if it finds an inherent fault).

But you won't know how they'll react until they ask.

They are entitled to take the item in for investigation before providing a remedy (repair, replace, refund). If they offer a remedy then the item becomes theirs, unless they repair it.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think theyll turn around to you and say prove it or suggest you speak to samsung.

By all means ask (i was under the impression that currys customer service isnt the very best) but ultimately for a statutory return youd need to prove the fault was inherent by way of 3rd party inspection if they initially reject and do so via the courts.
  • danthemoneysavingman
    Options
    It has a 12 or 24 month warranty with Samsung so I suggest you contact them.
    Let me Google that for you...
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably worth trying Curry's first. I bought an Apple Magic Keyboard 2 from them in September which failed completely in December when it wouldn't charge. They immediately exchanged it without question for a new one and refunded me £20 because it happened to be on sale at the time (it wasn't when I bought the first one). I think things might have changed as regards their after-sales service.
  • DoaM
    Options
    The big difference is that your situation was within 6 months from purchase, the OP's isn't.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update. Last night I carried out a factory reset. Haven't really given it a try today, but will and update you. thanks.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    The big difference is that your situation was within 6 months from purchase, the OP's isn't.

It's clear on their sales receipts that their own warranty is for 12 months. Obviously you need to have kept the receipt and taken it with you.
  • DoaM
    Options
    Warranty < > Consumer Rights

It'll depend on what their warranty terms state.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure