PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Did I offer too much? (Buying)

Options
FTB in London. Went to see a property with a guide of 425-450k. Seller told us that he had the house on the market for 3 months and it didn't get much interest, so now it's with this other agent and they're starting to get some viewings. Also told us that they needed to move quickly as they had another house lined up that they want to start proceedings on. This didn't work for us as we don't want to move until February / March next year so that we can use our HTB ISAs, so I emailed the agent basically saying "Lovely house, may have put an offer on if the sellers situation was more compatible with ours, please give my best, various pleasantries etc".

The agent came back and asked us what we would have offered, and we put in £415k. Agent called me back a couple days later and informed me that their other house had fallen through and they were now prepared to work with us and to our timeline, but not at that price. Discussed it with my wife later and we put in £425k - the lower end of their guide price.

The next day the agent emailed me saying that he was "pretty sure they can get it off the market at that price" and later in a phonecall "you've offered £425k which they will be delighted with". Lo and behold, the seller accepts the offer and it's now marked down as Sold STC. But I'm a bit concerned at the confidence of the agent here - the fact that he was pretty sure they would accept my offer makes me think it was well above what they expected to receive and what the property is worth.

The amount is not a concern for us at all - it's comfortably affordable and well within what we can borrow (Our max budget was £460k). But I'm worried that I've been naive here and have ended up offering way more than I should have.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How does the price compare to similar properties in the same area? You must know this because you would have checked before you made your offer?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    seebeeess wrote: »
    But I'm a bit concerned at the confidence of the agent here - the fact that he was pretty sure they would accept my offer makes me think it was well above what they expected to receive and what the property is worth.
    A lot of sellers will have told their agents a price that they'd accept, and you offered the lower limit of the asking range. I'm surprised your offer was accepted as most buyers who specify a range won't go as low as their lower limit.

TLDR - The vendor wouldn't have accepted a lower offer. Either you think that it's worth it or you don't so you pull out.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    You'll only find out (and if it was otherwise a wise purchase..) after 2-3 years. Bit like marriage.
  • seebeeess
    Options
    It's really hard to tell - there are houses that sold for less by about £10- 15k but are less modern and well maintained than this one and don't have an extension, and there are houses that are about £20k more but have better features, such as a conservatory, larger garden or attic conversion.
  • Fred.Y
    Options
    agree it takes time to know and you have to understand the current market: now is a buyers market, for example...

Check out the advisory as have very useful guides on this

amusing to compare to marriage and agree :)
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you are reading too much into it. I definitely told my EA what was the least I would accept. It had a guide of £425-450k and you are at the bottom end well done.

If you had asked me to wait 6 months to complete. It would be a no from me.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's really hard to tell - there are houses that sold for less by about £10- 15k but are less modern and well maintained than this one and don't have an extension, and there are houses that are about £20k more but have better features, such as a conservatory, larger garden or attic conversion.
    Sounds about right then? Valuation isn't an exact science so a few percent here or there isn't much to worry about.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a link to the general area, not your house just nearby?
  • seebeeess
    Options
    Do you have a link to the general area, not your house just nearby?

I can't post links but it's a 3-bedroom terraced within 1/2 mile of the postcode RM11 - Zoopla will show it with that criteria.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can't post links but it's a 3-bedroom terraced within 1/2 mile of the postcode RM11 - Zoopla will show it with that criteria.

Rightmove is showing lots of 25k and 50k price drops for that area, which obviously puts you in a strong position as a buyer....unless you already bought?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure