Glad you had a lovely evening :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 July 2018 at 9:57PM
    Options
    How did I not know about this before? The 'Pink Tax'

I'll keep a look out for this as it could save more than pennies and I don't mind going blue. :)

And while I'm thinking about money saving categories I'm getting tired of calling one of my list 'MS stuff'. It seemed quirky or cute at first but now it's annoying me and I'm sure you'll all understand if it changes to 'MS' which is just the same thing. :)
    Im going to go blue when I next buy razors and deodorant that's for sure what a cheek,I knew we paid a high tax on sanitary products becasue they are considered a luxury :eek: but I didn't realise this happened on other things too,next time I'm in town I'm going to be doing some investigating and emailing of companies,
    People power pays off,I frequent a well known coffee shop and they were discontinuing my favourite sandwhich so I emailed the company,I got a generic reply back and thought nothing of it, just mourned the loss of my sand which,but I got chatting to one of the girls who work in my coffee shop and the next time I saw her she had been to an awards ceremony for the company and found herself sharing a table with one of the managing directors ,she told him how disappointed I was, I thought this was quite funny at the time but lo and behold I went in this week and my sandwhich is back and it's replaced the replacement sandwhich they brought out in the meal deal:T I can only assume that I wasn't the only one who complained so my point is if you have a beef with a company always challenge them becasue if enough individuals stick together they make changes :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How lovely you got your sandwich back OBL! :) I am trying to do those till receipt surveys from time to time (only managed one recently) but I did include feedback about products that are no longer available. Perhaps they'll listen. :) And it we don't say, how will they know?

No progress on decorating or anything today: it's been a grand old day off. :D A&H had a walk and a picnic, and I got lots of groceries. I don't normally shop on a Sunday but we were short of fridge space so I decided to shop immediately before Sunday dinner. In the end I made a vegetarian chilli (using some of the peppers that were filling our side of the salad baskets and a couple of tins from the cupboard), and added cauliflower cheese and some salad. It sounds like an odd mixture but there was very little left after the family tucked in. Pudding was Cardinal Peaches which I hadn't made before. We finished off the evening with DS2's holiday photos.

Spends:
    Housekeeping: £13.88
    MS:
    Peaches half price as the whole shelf full was going over - but 8 of the nine I bought were useable.
    Free raspberries from the garden. :)
    19p for a bag of potatoes to make into mash along with 30p for liver so it will be liver, onions and mash some day soon. :)
    DH only got about half his usual housekeeping out this week and I underspent on my share by about £6 so we are still saving a little - but mostly on the back of a very low spend last week.
    Decluttering:
    It wasn't clutter as such but have used two of three bags of cauliflower and a couple of peppers, thus increasing fridge/freezer space, and the raspberries are ripening faster than I can use them so combining them with peaches and some vanilla sugar I made ages ago... worked well.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    How did I not know about this before? The 'Pink Tax'

I'll keep a look out for this as it could save more than pennies and I don't mind going blue. :)

I knew about this :mad:. I always buy men's razors and have started buying men's deodorants. I don't wear perfume so I don't get ripped off in that parti ular way.

Glad DS is back home safely :T. I've been stalking my DS who is in Madrid via Messenger :rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I've been stalking my DS who is in Madrid via Messenger :rotfl:
    It's a Mum thing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: You can also track them via the FlightRadar app if you have flight numbers or sufficient other details. :rotfl:

• Cherryfudge
    edited 10 July 2018 at 12:19AM
    Options
    A positive report from the physio today - she is pleased with how I'm doing: my arm is near to flexing well enough to get normal strength back which is enormously encouraging. I'm allowed to carry light things again! I've celebrated by doing heaps of ironing which I'd been putting off. :D Also loads of laundry.

I had a thought about our housekeeping money. I usually have £40 cash but if I take out £30, then if I need to spend more than that, I could put it on my debit card for the same account... unless we are overspending that should mean more is left in the bank instead of running over to the next week. I don't know how well it will work but I'm trialling it.

I'm still avoiding tackling that bank account application form! It seemed huge when I tried it before and the thought of wading through it again is daunting! I did decide to set up the mortgage DD again so I can be sure of having enough DDs going through so as not to lose my 'reward' on that account as has happened twice recently. The DD form is now posted. I also heard that someone I know was awarded some compensation for a mistake over their banking and it suddenly occurred to me that I could complain officially about the DD that the bank never set up. Not only did it put me at risk of defaulting on the mortgage, but it's meant I've lost the 'reward' payments I would normally get, and the fault was clearly with them. It's been five months and it's never appeared, hence the need for me to fill in the form today.

Dinner today was from the freezer/cupboards but we needed bread and other bits and I bought a few treats for the ever-hungry offspring. (All of them, not just the one who comes wandering in around midnight asking if there's any food. Nothing I suggest tends to count as food, which is odd as I'm sure that's how the shops would classify it).

Spends:
    Housekeeping £3.78
    MS:
    Wombled 84p
    Dinner from freezer/cupboards
    10th coin savings 20p
    Confession:
    Bought a pastry for a treat tomorrow.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The wood burning stove sounds a good idea. We have 1 and it always gets the room hot. If you are fortunate to be given free wood, it works out quite economical.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 10 July 2018 at 11:49PM
    Options
    We have a small amount of wood available for free as we have had to reduce some trees, but in the long term we'd need to buy in. I do still have a stock of wood in Mum's garage but it's a case of getting it here.

Today... I sent in a complaint about the DD that wasn't. Response is supposed to be within 48 hours so I'm hoping I can hang on to my notes for that long! It occurred to me that as well as losing my 'rewards' for a couple of months (£6) I will have paid a bit extra in mortgage interest with a month's money not having gone out in time. I wasn't sure what to ask for in the part of the form that gets you to write down what you are hoping they will do to make good, so I put those two things. Resisted the temptation to request hundreds for emotional trauma! :D

Other than that I watched DVDs of To the Manor Born (again) and did some sewing. Nothing fancy: I am putting cheerful braid around a kitchen towel that's too thick and absorbent to throw out but tatty at the edges. I feel very mid-twentieth century but I won't count it as MS unless I finish it.

I got a card for H and A (comes under 'presents') and some groceries but honestly there wasn't much we needed. I had some sausages in the freezer and some red pesto so it was sausage pasta tonight. A few procrastinated jobs also got done: meter readings, prescription ordering and a phone call. Also laundry, but that's not news. It will be interesting to see how we cope when we don't have good drying weather!

Spends:
    Gift £2.95
    Housekeeping £1.80
    MS:
    Wombled 26p
    Meter readings done so we don't pay more than we have to - though I need to research the next providers as we're no longer on a cheap tariff.
    10th coin savings 20p

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    H'm... having a bit of a stress day so am coming to chat to y'all before I go out and buy more unnecessary stuff.

I had a text from the lady who looks after Mum's old house to say my sister had lost the keys! Long story short, they had been moved but she hadn't seen them and my sister, who is staying at the house sorting things out right now, had been down at the doctor's, poorly. That's after a lot of exchanging of texts and being annoyed with both of them: one for panicking and jumping to conclusions and the other because the place is reportedly in a mess, thus creating me another day away from home just to sort that out. My sister rang in the end and said among other things that it's making her ill, to which I said the same happens to me... oh, and DS offered to take me over there which could be a perfect solution except that last time he went he did nothing to help and is now denying I asked him, and I get muscle problems in the broken arm if it's not kept mobile, as in on car journeys.

My sister has also had an expression of interest in buying the house but it's from the daughter of a nosey woman I try to avoid... makes me a bit sad to think it might go to someone I probably wouldn't want to visit, even though I actually wouldn't want to go there again anyway unless it's restored to how I remember it from the late 1960s! Hypocritical or what? Maybe I just need to sleep on the idea and get over it.

I did get a little light relief and The Lady Who Cleans and I discussed going halves on some dynamite to get through my sister's debris. :rotfl:

So that's my moaning done for now! Feel free to ignore. :D

On the positive side, the bank rang me back over the complaint and explained I hadn't been notified of the non-payment of the mortgage because I was ahead on payments and so effectively hadn't lost any interest. They are reinstating the missing 'reward' payments and offered me £75 for the inconvenience, which is nice. :) I didn't refuse. :D

I was reading TOPM's thread and came across a mention of Bea Johnson so I looked her up and have to admit I bought the book. It's only £1.99 on Kindle and I like her style of writing. This is nothing to do with the fact I'm still part way though Early Retirement Extreme, The Millionaire Next Door and various non-money books including Les Miserables which is a goodly length. :D It's even less to do with my having lots and lots and lots of books I haven't started yet, not to mention the old favourites that I've read so much I can recite bits.

Oh, and I cleaned and tidied our part of the fridge and two shelves of the larder. This last is in itself a bit of history book. I found a broken cartoon cup at the back there which DS2 declares is a favourite of his (not sure he would have remembered it if told he can only keep possessions he can describe) - it dates back about 15 years.

So, please may I have ideas of what to do with the following: 2 jars of Dijon mustard, four jars of cranberry sauce, half a packet of strong brown flour, medium oatmeal, sesame seeds, seeds for sprouting (assorted), a jar of black olives that I thought were damson gin till I opened it (!), a jar of jalapenos that no one likes, a packet of meringues and a packet of sponge fingers?

And would you believe it, I have discovered that the storage containers I bought many years ago (and they cost more than I would normally pay even now) are still available! I thought I needed thinking time but I have saved the page with some in the online basket... they have withstood years of regular use, the lids remain a good fit and don't fall to bits unlike later cheaper versions. I am tempted - everything I attempt to store pasta in seems to get lost at the back of the top of the freezer and pasta is too bulky for normal places and these containers fit the larder shelves so well...

Enough of my waffling. I'm going to tidy the kitchen and go and buy dishwasher salt to satisfy the 'wanna buy myself out of stress' feelings.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Moan away :). Brilliant news about the £75 offer from your bank :T.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure