Noisy Neighbour - Not sure of next steps

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't agree with this response. This is just condoning anti social behaviour by others and enabling them to continue in this mode.

The OP has invested a lot of time and effort in making his home nice. People who are not prepared to confirm to the normal rules of social behaviour need to have it impressed on them that if the Council makes rules for the housing it has made available to them, those rules need to be obeyed. They are not onerous at the end of the day.

If everybody flouted rules, we would live in constant anarchy.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My own noisy neighbour has decided to play games, all I ever wanted was a compromise, but her constant lies and trying to get me to believe the noise I hear was in my head and 2 parties in just over a week made me complain, she put that snotty note through my door and got phone call from council today stating the neighbour has been agressive down the phone to them (but can't tell me what was said) but refused mediation.

Basically she thinks SHE is the victim despite having groups of friends round a few days a week, parties, laminate flooring, a barking puppy and affecting my physical and mental health.
  • Sunberry_723
    Options
    If you really can't move and your flat has high enough ceilings I'd pay to install an independent ceiling. It's not ideal and you shouldn't have to, but it will cost less than moving.
  • jamesperrett
    Options
    If you really can't move and your flat has high enough ceilings I'd pay to install an independent ceiling. It's not ideal and you shouldn't have to, but it will cost less than moving.

That's exactly what I was thinking - there are designs using interleaved joists that wouldn't lose much ceiling height.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Personally I'd try my suggestion first. It'll be a lot less hassle and will cost about £30.
  • Jimmy_Boy
    Options
    I'm not sure where the £30 figure comes from? I'm no builder, and know nothing about this area, but £30 seems exceptionally cheap.

I have been looking at this https://www.soundproofingstore.co.uk/how-to-soundproof-a-ceiling

I sent them an e-mail yesterday and the guy phoned me this morning and discussed some options. Gonna cost significantly more than £30 though! lol
  • KronarSZ
    Options
    Earplugs work wonders and cost practically nothing. Try them and you will be amazed at how little you can hear of anything.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KronarSZ wrote: »
    Earplugs work wonders and cost practically nothing. Try them and you will be amazed at how little you can hear of anything.

Just make sure you can still hear fire alarms and emergency calls, help etc.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KronarSZ wrote: »

Are you the neighbour?

Why on earth should somebody have to wear earplugs to cut out the racket caused by inconsiderate neighbours?
  • KronarSZ
    Options
    You can change your own circumstances easier than you can force someone else to change.

Hence earplugs as a quick solution. You can still work on the inconsiderate neighbors but in my experience there will be no hope.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback