Morrisons trials 30p plastic bag charge - MSE News

Options
Supermarket Morrisons is trialling a 30p charge for its reusable plastic bags in some stores in Wales...
Read the full story:
'Morrisons trials 30p plastic bag charge'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 21 August 2019 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Good. make them £1. A few 10p bags for a £30 supermarket shopping trip is irrelevant to many making bags for life disposable. I've got friends who now have as many of the 10p bags as they had free ones. They throw bags full of 10p bags in the bin to make space in their cupboards.
    If you give reusable bags value by charging more for them they will be valued.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good. make them £1. A few 10p bags for a £30 supermarket shopping trip is irrelevant to many making bags for life disposable. I've got friends who now have as many of the 10p bags as they had free ones. They throw bags full of 10p bags in the bin to make space in their cupboards.
    If you give reusable bags value by charging more for them they will be valued.

Disagree, I carry a backpack with me at all times with a large bag for shopping inside, but sometimes I may forget or have more shopping than expected, or whatever and may not realise until I paid for shopping, so I would have to pay £1 extra for a few items that would hit poorer people hard.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Disagree, I carry a backpack with me at all times with a large bag for shopping inside, but sometimes I may forget or have more shopping than expected, or whatever and may not realise until I paid for shopping, so I would have to pay £1 extra for a few items that would hit poorer people hard.
    At £1 per bag you and "poorer people" would be less likely to forget. Unwanted £1 bags could be collected from the wealthy and distributed amongst the poor.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Even at £1 I suspect my neighbours will continue buying them and throwing them away. I now collect their reusable bags from the communal bins and sell them to Ocado, or use them myself if they are clean (which they usually are)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure