Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Morrisons trials 30p plastic bag charge - MSE News

New Post Advanced Search

Morrisons trials 30p plastic bag charge - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
4 replies 3.1K views
MSE_CallumMSE_Callum Forumite
669 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
Supermarket Morrisons is trialling a 30p charge for its reusable plastic bags in some stores in Wales...
Read the full story:
'Morrisons trials 30p plastic bag charge'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• edited 21 August 2019 at 10:56AM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 August 2019 at 10:56AM
    Good. make them £1. A few 10p bags for a £30 supermarket shopping trip is irrelevant to many making bags for life disposable. I've got friends who now have as many of the 10p bags as they had free ones. They throw bags full of 10p bags in the bin to make space in their cupboards.
    If you give reusable bags value by charging more for them they will be valued.

• dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Good. make them £1. A few 10p bags for a £30 supermarket shopping trip is irrelevant to many making bags for life disposable. I've got friends who now have as many of the 10p bags as they had free ones. They throw bags full of 10p bags in the bin to make space in their cupboards.
    If you give reusable bags value by charging more for them they will be valued.

Disagree, I carry a backpack with me at all times with a large bag for shopping inside, but sometimes I may forget or have more shopping than expected, or whatever and may not realise until I paid for shopping, so I would have to pay £1 extra for a few items that would hit poorer people hard.
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Disagree, I carry a backpack with me at all times with a large bag for shopping inside, but sometimes I may forget or have more shopping than expected, or whatever and may not realise until I paid for shopping, so I would have to pay £1 extra for a few items that would hit poorer people hard.
    At £1 per bag you and "poorer people" would be less likely to forget. Unwanted £1 bags could be collected from the wealthy and distributed amongst the poor.

• zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even at £1 I suspect my neighbours will continue buying them and throwing them away. I now collect their reusable bags from the communal bins and sell them to Ocado, or use them myself if they are clean (which they usually are)