We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    Still trying not to panic that its too late to sow stuff, just have to keep in mind that spring was 3 to 4 weeks late here.

Hope everyone is growing well :j

I'm doing just the same smeeinnit - trying not to panic. The weather here has been so hot I haven't felt like braving the plot except to water it but the jobs keep mounting up and I feel so far behind.
    No chance this afternoon of doing anything as my DH wants to do some fencing so I'll have to help with that and the mornings are always taken up with the animals. Anyone done nightime gardening????
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    One of the courgette seeds I originally did have finally got some leaves on it, I may yet get courgettes this summer!

I do however think I'm not going to need to buy any lettuce this summer, they are grow well.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Cleared all the seedlings out of the greenhouse to harden off, got the green house ready for the indoor tomatoes (still think outdoor ones taste better).

Planted out a lot of Cosmos, red flax, dahlias, zinnias etc - my garden is sheltered so hopefully there won't be a frost, and if there is then that is just one of those things! Also sowed some succession seeds for late summer colour, particularly dahlias, chrysanthemums, zinnias. Also planted out some Angel Trumpets, sweet peas, and Chilean vines. Selfishly I am hoping that it will rain a bit to save me having to do loads of watering.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Options
    I'm slowly repotting stuff. Tomatoes are coming on fine, and I'm still working out where to put my courgettes. The last bare root apple tree that we planted at the start of the year has just started to properly bud - I was a bit worried that the cold snap had killed it off.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    I had a walk around the garden centre today and picked up a Black Cherry Tomato plant and a cucumber plant, both need repotting, but I'm out of compost so that will have to wait til I can get some tomorrow hopefully.

I've gained a strawberry plant from my uncle as well, it's in a hanging basket, so hopefully the birds won't eat it all.

I need to sort out my spinach though, it's one I planted from seed last year, and has been doing well, but recently it's been having lots of yellow and spotty leaves.
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More plant related activities this week :j

Sowed lots of flower seeds, runner beans, dwarf beans, resowed some marigolds as they mostly failed. Accidentally left most of my tomato plantlets in the cold frame :eek: they seem to be surviving with the little protection they have so I have abandoned them there :rotfl:

The runner beans were my first planting in one of my new raised beds, some blasted cat dug some up and left a present behind too :mad: The area is now covered with upturned pots, lolly sticks, cardboard and chicken wire to stop the little darlings.
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Hello all I planted some baby plants (peppers, chillies, tomato plant and herbs) on my OH's balcony a few days ago and this morning I noticed that the leaves on quite a few have started turning blue - are they outside too early? They are in planters with soil already so would be a bit messy to bring them inside but if it's the cold overnight weather killing them off then I'd rather make a bit of mess than have them die :(

thank you!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • unrecordings
    Options
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    The runner beans were my first planting in one of my new raised beds, some blasted cat dug some up and left a present behind too :mad: The area is now covered with upturned pots, lolly sticks, cardboard and chicken wire to stop the little darlings.

I find canes quite effective, or for a quick bit of protection while you wait for something to germinate - trellis is quite good

P1060223.JPG

• smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find canes quite effective, or for a quick bit of protection while you wait for something to germinate - trellis is quite good

P1060223.JPG

Love it! Lolly sticks consigned back to the shed :rotfl:
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • unrecordings
    Options
    That lot is my usual density to deter pigeons and errant footballs. You could get away with a lot less if you just wanted to deter cats. I have some kind of bamboo growing, so I tend to harvest that and let it dry out for a few months. I also use raspberry cane but that only lasts a season

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure