PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Edwardian house - What to expect?

Options
13»

Comments

• BoxerfanUK
    Options
    Edwardian properties will have some or all of the following: high ceilings; coving; old wiring; lead plumbing; timber rot; creaky floors; dodgy rooves; black mortar; poor insulation; aging brickwork; various DIY botchings; condensation, mould and cold.

They are owned by frozen-looking senior citizens who want to move out before hypothermia gets them or people indulging in some sort of time-warp period drama mentality who are prepared to suffer for that olde worlde pre-first world war experience.

Houses that are 120 years old cost an arm and a leg to maintain and heat. Their charm wears thin rapidly as your income and savings follow suit. You can divest yourself of this torture by owning a modern home and having money to actually enjoy your life :)

Lord B..... that really made me chuckle.
  • spendinglikemad
    spendinglikemad Posts: 312 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Depends what sort of property you actually want to live in. We moved around 6 months ago from a modern detached 4 bed small garden in a small cul de sac to a large 6 bed edwardian house with in out drive an huge established garden and we absolutely love it despite the bills being larger! Love the high ceilings, large rooms and layout and love that there is character in the house - it just feels more 'us' and better for entertaining and the garden is amazing. Whilst our previous house was nice it was too modern for us. We did however update the heating system when we moved in as it was a priority for us to modernise the heating and add some fireplaces that had been removed in the 1980's!

Get some nice slippers and jerseys!!! Actually it is nice to have a cool bedroom and I sleep better in this house than the previous one

SLM
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options

Get some nice slippers and jerseys!!! Actually it is nice to have a cool bedroom and I sleep better in this house than the previous one

SLM

Perhaps me and OH need to move to an Edwardian house, I always have the bedroom window open even when it's sub zero at night, can't stand a hot bedroom.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Nadeshkarine
    Options
    Having grown up in an old house - yes definitely colder.

I could very quickly tell an older less-well insulated house when we were looking around houses, they were the ones I didn't want to take my coat off in! But some we went around, including the one we have offered on, didn't feel that cold.
    In those cases they had put in double glazing in throughout, made sure frames were as draught free as possible and efficient heating. The EPCs on old houses I've seen (whatever they're worth) range from the worst possible through to B.

Did I ever consider anything else? Nope. I love the high ceilings, the fireplaces, the period features and just the feel of older houses.

My top tip - an electric heated underblanket. These things are amazing in the cold winter and you forget all about the cold rooms. I don't know how I lasted without one. Getting out of bed in the morning is a bit more difficult however!
  • bluedrop
    bluedrop Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. We saw the property and we really liked it.

The owner extended it all the way to the side - so there is no side access into the garden ! I'd hate to put the bins outside in front of the house or in the garage.

If you were me, would you compromise on this and just buy it?
    There is more to life than increasing its speed.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We aren't you. At least I'm not, as far as I know.

What I would do might not be what you would do. G_M gets the butler to put his bins out, for example....
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We live in a large Edwardian terrace. Front bit where it joins on to others in terace is warm, back, where there's a side return, colder. We have no side access to the front and it's really not a problem, all bins are out front. If you like it, go for it. I'd certainly take an Edwardian over a new build any time - bigger rooms, more character etc. They can have small kitchens if still in original layout, but a lot of people, us included have moved them into a larger space (we had to move an outdoor-opening loo in, too - it was the last unaltered layout house in our row, I think).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure